Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I love to go clubbing and my boyfriend can't stand it Watch

My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly two years now and we are long distance I love him to pieces but when we do see each other its always in my free time as i have to travel so i like to go out clubbing and i love to dance my boyfriend however says its too loud and he doesn't like dancing on new years eve i ended up going to a club and spent the night dancing with his mum! while she is lovely and a great laugh i would much rather be dancing with my boyfriend like all the other young couples than with his mum! i know men don't really like to dance but it kind of puts a downer on my night because i can't go off and dance because i feel bad leaving him and his own and then because i'm dancing i look like i'm single so guys come over and it all gets a bit awkward and his mum told him that if he doesn't start dancing with me he is going to lose me which really didn't help the situation as he got all clingy like don't leave me on new years eve and i only found out when we got in she had told him this, which resulted in a rubbish new years eve for both of us which was a shame because it was the first one we had spent together properly at the end of the day i want to go out clubbing and dance with my boyfriend and he can't stand it and would rather go to a pub how can we both have a good night out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly two years now and we are long distance I love him to pieces but when we do see each other its always in my free time as i have to travel so i like to go out clubbing and i love to dance my boyfriend however says its too loud and he doesn't like dancing on new years eve i ended up going to a club and spent the night dancing with his mum! while she is lovely and a great laugh i would much rather be dancing with my boyfriend like all the other young couples than with his mum! i know men don't really like to dance but it kind of puts a downer on my night because i can't go off and dance because i feel bad leaving him and his own and then because i'm dancing i look like i'm single so guys come over and it all gets a bit awkward and his mum told him that if he doesn't start dancing with me he is going to lose me which really didn't help the situation as he got all clingy like don't leave me on new years eve and i only found out when we got in she had told him this, which resulted in a rubbish new years eve for both of us which was a shame because it was the first one we had spent together properly at the end of the day i want to go out clubbing and dance with my boyfriend and he can't stand it and would rather go to a pub how can we both have a good night out?
    Tip: you can't.
    Clubbing and a less noisy environment is incompatible.
    What about clubbing do you like? Dancing? The music? The alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claudia_17)
    dancing and the music the alcohol is not a big deal for me or my boyfriend i just like to dance and wish he would dance with me but he just gets embarrassed
    I can see why.

Booze him up! Or do something involves dancing, but doesn't involve top 40 music like ballroom dancing, or salsa?

So you can both dance, learn something new, and still get boozed up beforehand for bants.

(Original post by tehforum)
    Tip: you can't.
    Clubbing and a less noisy environment is incompatible.
    What about clubbing do you like? Dancing? The music? The alcohol?
    Just the music and the dancing alcohol doesn't bother me either way

ReputationRep:
    Most straight guys are very insecure about dancing because it is the ultimate letting-down of your guard. I think you need to compromise, it's not very fair for you to get him to do something he obviously doesn't want to do, it'll just make him more scared of it.

ReputationRep:
    If the situation was reversed, you'd be storming mad. Imagine your significant other doing something that attracts attention of other single people, and you'll know what I mean. I really do suggest to be honest and open with your partner about everything, and I always suggest trusting them within reason, but the fact is that "clubbing" is mostly a single's territory. It's not a very couple-y thing to do, especially not on New Year's Eve. It's loud, obnoxious and often filled to the brim with violent, drunk, sweaty people dancing to horrible music.

ReputationRep:
    Find a new boyfriend

(Original post by KillChrist)
    Most straight guys are very insecure about dancing because it is the ultimate letting-down of your guard. I think you need to compromise, it's not very fair for you to get him to do something he obviously doesn't want to do, it'll just make him more scared of it.
    This.

Would you like it if he forced you to do something you don't want to?

Sure you are free to go clubbing. But again, I understand him, I would probably react the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Ditch him he sounds boring

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, I think as a few have said, you and your boyfriend should talk about this. Find out what he'd like to do and tell him what you like as a night out. Hopefully this'll allow you both to compromise.

Going clubbing is something a lot of people your age like to do but doesn't make it boring that he doesn't like it. Just see what he says and take it from there.

The first post I've read that long which didn't have any full stops.

It's different for different people - if he doesn't like to dance, then do other things that he does like? You can't really force it upon him, or try and be constructive like teach him how to dance? He may just not be confident?

ReputationRep:
      If you only see each other occasionally, is going clubbing really quality time together? You can't even talk to each other properly. Why not go out just you and him and do something together and spend some quality time. You can go clubbing when you're back home, the idea is to do something you both enjoy when you're with each other. We all enjoy different activities, nothing wrong with the guy not enjoying clubbing, just like you clearly don't enjoy going to the pub.

ReputationRep:
      How often do you go and see him? Wont he compromise- ie one weekend you go to see him you spend a night in the pub and the next time you go clubbing. That is what comes with a relationship after all- compromise.

If he wants his way all the time like a 6 year old- maybe you need to start thinking about looking for someone with a bit more maturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.