Tips on passing Functional skills Maths level 2 Watch

Isobel6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kelly-grace)
Hi,

I have looked at taking functional skills maths level 2 with runway training that I found online. They said i could pass within 4-6 weeks if i put 3-4 hours per week study in. Has anyone used them before? And is this a realistic timescale for a possible pass? I am at GCSE grade D at the moment.
Hi there , how did you get along with this ? My son needs functional skills for uni? Thanks
kelly-grace
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Isobel6)
Hi there , how did you get along with this ? My son needs functional skills for uni? Thanks
Hi there,

I havent sat the exam yet, but I have done some of the revision. I have sat GCSE maths in the past before 3 times and still only achieved a D. I am not finding functional skills maths much different in terms of difficulty if I am completly honest. It is just worded very different.

Has your son started the revision for it yet, and is he taking the course through a college?
Wills2018
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hi, I did my Functional Skills Maths level 2 at Intech Centre. They offer both Maths and English Functional Skills level 2, also both courses can be completed within 8 weeks and with extra support from the tutors.

I was happy with the support given to me and how quick I was able to complete the course. I would recommend them, if you need to contact them, you can call 020 7354 5655.
Wills2018
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, were you able to find a place that offer Functional Skills Maths level 2 for you son?
Wills2018
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kelly-grace)
Hi there,

I havent sat the exam yet, but I have done some of the revision. I have sat GCSE maths in the past before 3 times and still only achieved a D. I am not finding functional skills maths much different in terms of difficulty if I am completly honest. It is just worded very different.

Has your son started the revision for it yet, and is he taking the course through a college?
When are you thinking about taking your the Functional Skills Maths exam?
KyleSands
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have mine tomorrow - need to pass to get into University! Any tips
Jonesk5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi incase anyone else comes across this page. I have loads of cheap.material available specifically to.help pass.fs with city and guilds. Please check out my revision guides on my tes shop let's get functional .Also I have many hand made exam directed resources and exam practice based on the real.exams
kelly-grace
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wills2018)
When are you thinking about taking your the Functional Skills Maths exam?
Hi thanks for the contact number above. I have defered my application for uni now to start in septemeber. I am hoping to enrole onto a functional skills course in the next month. Runway training have offered it distance learning but with a £100 depsit (refundable unpon completion). The course you had taken is that accross the nation and distance learning?
Laura Lou82
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I'm wanting to know exactly the same.Im doing it online too.x 😊
Laura Lou82
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I need my maths functional skills level 2 as well as I've been offered a place on a child's nursing degree at uni.I need to have this by the end of August.

Has anyone any advice?

Also I've heard of a company called Alpha training in Leicester that do it for £45.Has anyone used these? X

Posted from TSR Mobi
Jonesk5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Functional skills should be free. Contact your local college or adult education centre.
Allaya4816
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Holycow 30)
I am trying to attain enough knowledge to achieve a level 2 in functional skills but really finding it hard work due to number dyslexia and work , have you guys got any tips ? I am working my way through all the practise papers but thr main problem is i cannot retain the information.
I have exactly the same problem as you and the number dyslexia is called discalcular its horrible I'm currently trying to study for my level 2 functional maths as well and I find it easier if I write down the facts in bright colours and teach it to someone else at the same time as learning like a younger sibling or friend x
kelly-grace
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Laura Lou82)
I need my maths functional skills level 2 as well as I've been offered a place on a child's nursing degree at uni.I need to have this by the end of August.

Has anyone any advice?

Also I've heard of a company called Alpha training in Leicester that do it for £45.Has anyone used these? X

Posted from TSR Mobi
Hi try runway training, as i think it can be funded and its distance learning.
Stonepony1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi.

If you are doing City and Guilds, there are certain things you need to remember.

1. Circle or underline important information. This will involve reading the question properly. If you highlight this information you will know where to start. Also anything that is in Bold or bullet-ed is usually part of the marking criteria. Also remember previous questions and how the answers you've created already will feed into the current question. Make sure you fully understand the criteria and tick off as you complete each part.

2. City and Guilds always follow the same format.

Task 1 - Whole numbers, decimals, fractions and percentages with time and money built in. You will also need to create a table too, which has all the headings included and fully delineated. Know what a table is.

Task 2 - Measures, shape and space, including scale diagrams or maps. Know how to convert between units of measure in the metric system and also imperial although any formula will be given in the paper itself. May also include Area/volume of complex shapes so understand how to split these up into regular shapes first.

Task 3 - Statistical data, graphs/charts and probability. Understand mean, median, mode and range and make decisions on which average makes more sense. More often than not, more than one choice is viable but make sure you provide a reason for your choice. You may also have to interpret data from a graph/chart and make a prediction. This prediction will generally be within a certain range anyway. If you need to represent any information on a graph, remember a bar chart is for discrete/separate data, line graph for continuous data and a pie chart for percentages. My advice if you're struggling is to explore the option of a bar chart first. If this won't work then explore other options. You will also have to explain what certain data is telling you. Is the data consistent/varied? Can you realistically predict what will come next? Is the data spiking etc?

Above anything else, I can't stress this enough. ALWAYS attempt your check sums. These are an easy 2 marks per task and very often the difference between a pass or a fail. I consider these a safety valve to make up extra marks you may have otherwise lost.

Don't worry too much about calculation errors, as you will generally only be penalised once as most answers will follow through to the next question. This puts more importance on showing your working out so mistakes can be identified quickly. Examiners are looking for certain information and will adjust their answers providing your methods are correct.

The tasks can be completed in any order so identify where your strengths are and run with it, don't get tied down by using too much time in one area only to discover you may have smashed the last question if you had timed yourself correctly.

Make regular notes and revise. Practice as many mock tests as you can and get a feel for the exam format.

Following the above tips won't guarantee a pass but it will give you the best the opportunity to walk away very proud of yourself.
Ni d hennerz
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hi I've done both English and maths at level 2 city and guilds at college I'm 36 yrs old and i wanted to do it as i dont have gcse's passed the English failed the maths ☹ but I found the maths questions not very straight forward and if u dont get the first part of the test right yoy wont get the rest it's all linked together so you'll probably get percentages or something first then area and perimeter then averages then probability and even some fractions to simplify think the key is to practice alot of practice papers and try to get the maths level 2 text book...fingers crossed got a retake next week been revising hope I pass would be nice to have both at level 2.
Cortes
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by donb2909)
Have a look on the tutors & exams website. I am sitting mine today at the cost of £75 😳 Need it for uni, not had a maths lesson since 1999!!
Hi.I know this is an old thread,but I am hoping to get a reply from you.May you please give me details or link where to book for £75via on line and what is the exam board you are using.Your help is greatly apprecaited.Thanks in advanc
jesh40
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jonesk5)
Hi incase anyone else comes across this page. I have loads of cheap.material available specifically to.help pass.fs with city and guilds. Please check out my revision guides on my tes shop let's get functional .Also I have many hand made exam directed resources and exam practice based on the real.exams
hi please inbox me the details
jesh40
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Stonepony1)
Hi.

If you are doing City and Guilds, there are certain things you need to remember.

1. Circle or underline important information. This will involve reading the question properly. If you highlight this information you will know where to start. Also anything that is in Bold or bullet-ed is usually part of the marking criteria. Also remember previous questions and how the answers you've created already will feed into the current question. Make sure you fully understand the criteria and tick off as you complete each part.

2. City and Guilds always follow the same format.

Task 1 - Whole numbers, decimals, fractions and percentages with time and money built in. You will also need to create a table too, which has all the headings included and fully delineated. Know what a table is.

Task 2 - Measures, shape and space, including scale diagrams or maps. Know how to convert between units of measure in the metric system and also imperial although any formula will be given in the paper itself. May also include Area/volume of complex shapes so understand how to split these up into regular shapes first.

Task 3 - Statistical data, graphs/charts and probability. Understand mean, median, mode and range and make decisions on which average makes more sense. More often than not, more than one choice is viable but make sure you provide a reason for your choice. You may also have to interpret data from a graph/chart and make a prediction. This prediction will generally be within a certain range anyway. If you need to represent any information on a graph, remember a bar chart is for discrete/separate data, line graph for continuous data and a pie chart for percentages. My advice if you're struggling is to explore the option of a bar chart first. If this won't work then explore other options. You will also have to explain what certain data is telling you. Is the data consistent/varied? Can you realistically predict what will come next? Is the data spiking etc?

Above anything else, I can't stress this enough. ALWAYS attempt your check sums. These are an easy 2 marks per task and very often the difference between a pass or a fail. I consider these a safety valve to make up extra marks you may have otherwise lost.

Don't worry too much about calculation errors, as you will generally only be penalised once as most answers will follow through to the next question. This puts more importance on showing your working out so mistakes can be identified quickly. Examiners are looking for certain information and will adjust their answers providing your methods are correct.

The tasks can be completed in any order so identify where your strengths are and run with it, don't get tied down by using too much time in one area only to discover you may have smashed the last question if you had timed yourself correctly.

Make regular notes and revise. Practice as many mock tests as you can and get a feel for the exam format.

Following the above tips won't guarantee a pass but it will give you the best the opportunity to walk away very proud of yourself.
Thank you so much for your time and the valuable information. I've got my test next Friday, i'm scaring lol ....
jesh40
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi all, Ive got my maths city and guild level 2 next week.
anyone recently has done the exam?
Zumbaqueen
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
QUOTE=jesh40;78695766]Hi all, Ive got my maths city and guild level 2 next week.
anyone recently has done the exam?[/QUOTE]

Hi there! Yes I did my level two just over a week ago so I’m waiting to hear about my results.
My tip to you is just to make sure you read the questions properly and highlight all the important details ok.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads