Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Myanmar Ambassador petition, Joecphillips

This petition calls on the Government to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador for genocide of Rohingya Muslims. Yale's Allard K. Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinic analysed research conducted by Fortify Rights and Al Jazeera, to see if genocide had been committed as defined by the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. Clear evidence came to light that four acts of this convention on genocide had been committed and the United Nations has branded the events as ‘devastating’. These acts are as follows:

- Slaughtering members of the Rohingya people. The Rohingya, who have a distinctive language, culture, history and traditions, have been killed by security forces, or by the local Rakhine population as security forces stood by without intervening.

- Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the people. They are subjected to rape, torture, arbitrary detention and other crimes.

- Inflicting conditions to destroy the culture.

- Preventing births within the Rohingya population through marriage and birth restrictions.

Since the violence broke out in the country last October, 65,000 members of this Muslim minority community have fled to Bangladesh and nearly half of those interviewed for the report said a family member had been killed. Half of the women interviewed revealed that they had been raped and/or experienced sexual violence from security forces.

The British Government needs to treat the situation with the severity that it requires and we urge it to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador with immediate effect.

Signed - The Libertarian Party

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Myanmar Ambassador petition, TSR Libertarian Party

This petition calls on the Government to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador for genocide of Rohingya Muslims. Yale's Allard K. Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinic analysed research conducted by Fortify Rights and Al Jazeera, to see if genocide had been committed as defined by the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. Clear evidence came to light that four acts of this convention on genocide had been committed and the United Nations has branded the events as ‘devastating’. These acts are as follows:

- Slaughtering members of the Rohingya people. The Rohingya, who have a distinctive language, culture, history and traditions, have been killed by security forces, or by the local Rakhine population as security forces stood by without intervening.

- Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the people. They are subjected to rape, torture, arbitrary detention and other crimes.

- Inflicting conditions to destroy the culture.

- Preventing births within the Rohingya population through marriage and birth restrictions.

Since the violence broke out in the country last October, 65,000 members of this Muslim minority community have fled to Bangladesh and nearly half of those interviewed for the report said a family member had been killed. Half of the women interviewed revealed that they had been raped and/or experienced sexual violence from security forces.

The British Government needs to treat the situation with the severity that it requires and we urge it to suspend the Myanmar Ambassador with immediate effect.

Signed - The Libertarian Party

Aye - We shouldn't be supporting such heinous crimes and I agree that the British Government need to intervene and treat this matter with severity it requires.

ReputationRep:
    I support the motion petition and I encourage Members to consider taking affirmative action to address this humanitarian crisis before it escalates to the extent that irreparable harm is done to the Rohingya people.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye

ReputationRep:
    Aye, the situation is indeed a genocide and appropriate actions need to be taken.

ReputationRep:
    Aye - it is easy enough for the house to pass motions when there is big news coverage of what is happening just because this doesn't get the coverage doesn't mean that it should be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    Are parties capable of submitting petitions? adam9317

Also, is the ambassador personally responsible for the genocide? I should note, this isn't me trying to ask probing questions to find a weakness, but rather ignorance on my part.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I don't know how I was hitherto not aware of such atrocities.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye. In my opinion, these terrible events are not given nearly as much press as they should and the Government should at the very least suspend the ambassador.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, the government suspending the ambassador of a minor country is not going to stop what is happening, to stop the genocide the government should deploy troops on a peacekeeping mission.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Are parties capable of submitting petitions? adam9317

Also, is the ambassador personally responsible for the genocide? I should note, this isn't me trying to ask probing questions to find a weakness, but rather ignorance on my part.
    According to the GD: 1) Registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may post a petition in the Model House of Commons forum

Since none of the Libertarian party's members are MPs, they are allowed to do so!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    According to the GD: 1) Registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may post a petition in the Model House of Commons forum

Since none of the Libertarian party's members are MPs, they are allowed to do so!
    Surely any one member can do so, not the whole lot?

ReputationRep:

Which member of TSR is 'The Libertarian Party'?

I'm not saying it should be taken down, but rather re-titled as a motion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Which member of TSR is 'The Libertarian Party'?

I'm not saying it should be taken down, but rather re-titled as a motion.
    While this is a vague issue, I will speak to the members concerned and see if they would rather it a motion, or a petition signed by all members who currently reside within the Libertarian party!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Care us to link us to the page of "@TSR Libertarian Party" because the built in function doesn't seem to think they exist.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Care us to link us to the page of "@TSR Libertarian Party" because the built in function doesn't seem to think they exist.
    Sorry ???

ReputationRep:
    Aye. - the government should not be seen to be indifferent to genocide.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for any confusion caused it is not adam's fault I submitted the petition to him and included a note that the party was involved in the writing but i should have made it clearer it was only submitted by me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have confirmed with the submitter, and to ensure there is no confusion, this petition is being submitted by Joecphillips, and has simply been signed at the bottom by the Libertarian party, to show they are in agreement with it!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.