Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Can we get a comprehensive list of ambassadors who need their credentials revoking, because there must be a lot of them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in thinking that this is effectively a call to cut all diplomatic ties?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No, the government suspending the ambassador of a minor country is not going to stop what is happening, to stop the genocide the government should deploy troops on a peacekeeping mission.
    This. I don't support waffle and this House is too toothless to act.

As always with petitions though, i intend to Abstain.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Aye.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I am very surprised to see the author of this petition taking action to help persecuted Muslims. It's a welcome development, however.

A strong aye. It's never been more necessary for Britain to stand up for and defend its principles on an international stage, and where atrocities like the horrific injustices being inflicted on the Rohingya are concerned, we shouldn't be afraid to make our disapproval heard.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jammy Duel)
      Can we get a comprehensive list of ambassadors who need their credentials revoking, because there must be a lot of them.
      Precisely the reason I don't support this petition. Also, how would cutting of diplomatic ties stop or at the least alleviate the acts being described as 'devastating'?

ReputationRep:
      Aye,
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      The current situation in Myanmar is unacceptable but I'm not sure cutting diplomatic ties is the answer. Economic sanctions would possibly have more impact, along with concerted efforts at UN-level to find an appropriate long-term solution (which would require us to maintain links with the ambassador).
      • TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      Aye
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      2016 the former political prisoner and British-educated winner of the Nobel Peace Prize Aung San Suu Kyi became State Chancellor (de facto Prime Minister) after a landslide election victory. She has been criticised for not doing enough for the Rohingya but she is also immensely respected around the world for standing up for democracy and human rights in a country barely moved on from military dictatorship. On this issue she has failed, but am I wrong to say that this is a leader that the international community can work with? I believe that this terrible persecution can only see a speedy resolution by working with her via diplomatic means and urging her to reign in the military. If this fails then actual economic sanctions - which I suspect the UN would back us on is the next step. To cut off diplomatic ties would help no one. We are dealing with a country mired with problems that might just be able to get over them with time. We are not dealing with a rogue state and our response should reflect that.

That said, the very fact we're discussing this means we should probably send out a plane for the Ambassador to Burma...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by RayApparently)
      2016 the former political prisoner and British-educated winner of the Nobel Peace Prize Aung San Suu Kyi became State Chancellor (de facto Prime Minister) after a landslide election victory. She has been criticised for not doing enough for the Rohingya but she is also immensely respected around the world for standing up for democracy and human rights in a country barely moved on from military dictatorship. On this issue she has failed, but am I wrong to say that this is a leader that the international community can work with? I believe that this terrible persecution can only see a speedy resolution by working with her via diplomatic means and urging her to reign in the military. If this fails then actual economic sanctions - which I suspect the UN would back us on is the next step. To cut off diplomatic ties would help no one. We are dealing with a country mired with problems that might just be able to get over them with time. We are not dealing with a rogue state and our response should reflect that.

That said, the very fact we're discussing this means we should probably send out a plane for the Ambassador to Burma...
      While winning the Nobel Peace Prize in the past is a good thing it is not a sign of future behaviour an example would be the winner who went on to bomb at least 7 different countries.

There are many reasons that demonstrate why your idea of working with her and urging her to reign in the military will not work the main reason being is that the army must have 1/4 of parliamentary seats and control over security

Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to even say Rohingya

The UN have been denied access and aid has been stopped so it is impossible to say how many people have been killed but it has been estimated to be in the thousands rather than hundreds that was originally estimated.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by joecphillips)
      While winning the Nobel Peace Prize in the past is a good thing it is not a sign of future behaviour an example would be the winner who went on to bomb at least 7 different countries.

There are many reasons that demonstrate why your idea of working with her and urging her to reign in the military will not work the main reason being is that the army must have 1/4 of parliamentary seats and control over security

Aung San Suu Kyi refuses to even say Rohingya

The UN have been denied access and aid has been stopped so it is impossible to say how many people have been killed but it has been estimated to be in the thousands rather than hundreds that was originally estimated.
      Thousands out of millions a genocide does not make

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Thousands out of millions a genocide does not make

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Thousands out of thousands not millions
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Thousands out of thousands not millions
      I suppose 1.3m is thousands, just enough thousands to break the million mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      I suppose 1.3m is thousands, just enough thousands to break the million mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      When I say thousands I am talking about the numbers in Myanmar.

Also how many people have to die at the hands of the government before you would decide to do anything about it?
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      When I say thousands I am talking about the numbers in Myanmar.

Also how many people have to die at the hands of the government before you would decide to do anything about it?
      Attachment 618402

What does it say next to "Myanmar"?

And I don't really care, but this petition is no more than virtue signalling, and given your criticism of those protesting Trump around the world you would realise this.

Do you think the Burmese government is going to turn around and go "oh ****, the UK revoked the credentials of our ambassador over this, we must stop immediately!"? Of course this won't happen, this petition is very much a case of

1486689514692.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Attachment 618402

What does it say next to "Myanmar"?

And I don't really care, but this petition is no more than virtue signalling, and given your criticism of those protesting Trump around the world you would realise this.

Do you think the Burmese government is going to turn around and go "oh ****, the UK revoked the credentials of our ambassador over this, we must stop immediately!"? Of course this won't happen, this petition is very much a case of

1486689514692.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Do I think it will solve everything? No
      Do I want to do something that will also make it worse for others? No
      If you don't think this does enough what do you suggest doing, rather than *****ing maybe propose alternatives
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      Do I think it will solve everything? No
      Do I want to do something that will also make it worse for others? No
      If you don't think this does enough what do you suggest doing, rather than *****ing maybe propose alternatives
      I don't care about it, it's some regressives killing some other regressives half way around the world. The things that could actually work are not politically viable, but quite frankly having clear diplomatic channels would do more than this virtue signalling.

If we revoked the credentials of the ambassadors of all unsavoury states we would probably only have one from the entire middle East, and quite frankly we'd be expelling the ambassadors of a lot of our former colonies. Why are we virtue signalling over Myanmar, but not the middle East, why are we allowing all the Arab ambassadors to stay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.