Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do we exert a pressure on the atmosphere like it does on us

ReputationRep:
    I would think so, after all if there is a force on us from the particles occupying our atmosphere, the great gracious result must be that we exert a force on the bodies exerting that force on us, anti-parallel to that initial force. I think. I suppose. I hope.

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually 'the atmosphere' exerting pressure on us.

Billions of particles all colliding with us (or anything) is what causes pressure. It's basically a load of teeny tiny balls bouncing off whatever surface they connect with. It's this that we feel as pressure, and each particle feels 'us' in return, since the whole thing is the result of these very collisions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes agreed Pessimisteious you are correct; just to add to your analysis:-

Pressure = Force/area

So force is one of the determinants of pressure, and so we can apply Newton's 3rd Law: "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" - this tells us straight away that the force exerted by the atmosphere (as rightly pointed out by pessimisterious generated by the collision of nitrogen, oxygen and other atoms on our skin) must be counterbalanced by our bodies exerting an equal and opposite force on the "air", which would generate a pressure by the defintion of pressure stated above.

Regards,
    Mukesh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.