Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi for this question, it asks to identify E and F. I understand that E is propan-2-ol and F is a propanone. But there is a small absorption at the 3000cm^-1. I know that F is definitely a ketone but how can you justify the small absorption at 3000-3500cm^-1?

Thanks
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    My guess is that it's the C-H single bonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    My guess is that it's the C-H single bonds.
    your guess = correct

w00t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    your guess = correct

w00t
    There are two absorptions though, are they both from the C-H bond? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    There are two absorptions though, are they both from the C-H bond? Thanks
    There's more than 2. Basically everything in that region is from X-H bonds, and you get a lot of peaks from vibrations associated with C-H bonds in organic molecules. That spectrum is very typical in the region around 3000 wavenumbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    There's more than 2. Basically everything in that region is from X-H bonds, and you get a lot of peaks from vibrations associated with C-H bonds in organic molecules. That spectrum is very typical in the region around 3000 wavenumbers.
    So carboxylic acid absorption is always much lower and broader and more distinguishable than these kind of absorption ? How do you not mistake this absorpotion with the cooh or O-H absorption?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So carboxylic acid absorption is always much lower and broader and more distinguishable than these kind of absorption ? How do you not mistake this absorpotion with the cooh or O-H absorption?

Thanks
    O-H is good at hydrogen bonding and is a very polar bond, these two factors lead to 2 common features of COOH and OH absorbtion bands:

1) they are broad- due to hydrogen bonding

2) they absorb very strongly -because they are polar (you don't need to worry about the reasons behind this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    O-H is good at hydrogen bonding and is a very polar bond, these two factors lead to 2 common features of COOH and OH absorbtion bands:

1) they are broad- due to hydrogen bonding

2) they absorb very strongly -because they are polar (you need to worry about the reasons behind this
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Sorry, it was meant to say you don't need to worry about the reasons for OH absorbing strongly, ive corrected my previous post now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.