Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A levels as an adult Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, i'm new here and just after some opinions/advice. i'm 33 and unfortunatley didn't take the opportunity to study my a levels when i had the option to 17 years ago
    Ihave applied to my local college to start in september but i'm just a bit nervous that with my age etc its going to be really awkward for me

Anyone had experience of older students or been one yourself who can let me know what to expect? Or if someone my age was studying alongside you would you find it weird?!

Cheers
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the same, but I'm almost a decade younger than you. Terrified too!

I went to college to study as an electrician when I was 'standard age', and there were a handful of older people on the course who were changing careers; I didn't find them weird or off putting so figure it will be the same for us! At least, that's what I keep reassuring myself with. I just hope it won't aaallll be 16y/os :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    It's only as weird as you make it! Many mature students worry about this, but the apprehension of it is always worse than the reality. You will, of course, be studying with standard age students, but at an FE College you'll probably also find a number of mature students like you. Any age differences almost always very soon evaporate as you get stuck into the course, and the only people who tend to have a continued problem with it are those who themselves make a bit of an issue out of it and don't get stuck in with the rest of the scrum. You'll be absolutely fine.

What A levels are you thinking of taking, and what university course will they lead to?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the course.

I self-studied A-levels, but for one of them - physics - I had to sign up to a local college in order to be allowed to sit the practical part of the exam. The college was in London in a very busy area, lots of young college-aged pupils, but the class I had was just 4 people, and all adults! I was 23, another lad was about 20, then the two other guys were about 50 and we all got along really well.

So it depends on the course you're doing and its overall popularity in society. It seems physics isn't a very cool thing in Southwark, where my college was.

(Even worse is the lack of popularity meant course was being defunded by the college - so they had to stop teaching it - meanwhile things like hairdressing and flower-arrangement at that college were still being funded by the government!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pessimisterious)
    (Even worse is the lack of popularity meant course was being defunded by the college - so they had to stop teaching it - meanwhile things like hairdressing and flower-arrangement at that college were still being funded by the government!)

:mob:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)

:mob:
    On the plus side - less job competition for those of us who still went ahead with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.