Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did an art foundation last year and loved it, but was also good at maths and physics, and wanted a course that combined them all. So I chose Product Design and Technology at Loughborough. Its the best product design course of its kind and I'm super lucky to have got on it, but I just hate it. Its not creative enough for me to feel like I'm making any progress creatively, nor is it intellectually stimulating (tonnes and tonnes of practical work, very formulaic etc etc). The workload is a lot but alright, but I'm having trouble seeing the point of anything we are doing. I've been told first year is bad in comparison to second, but if its anything at all like first I just know I'm going to hate it. Everyone I've spoken to on my course seems to be liking it except me. I feel like I've made a huge mistake and don't really know where to turn. I don't know if I want to pursue more creative fine arty courses or continue on design. All I know is that I'm incredibly unhappy. Any advice/tips on who to go to?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lilythepink123)
    I did an art foundation last year and loved it, but was also good at maths and physics, and wanted a course that combined them all. So I chose Product Design and Technology at Loughborough. Its the best product design course of its kind and I'm super lucky to have got on it, but I just hate it. Its not creative enough for me to feel like I'm making any progress creatively, nor is it intellectually stimulating (tonnes and tonnes of practical work, very formulaic etc etc). The workload is a lot but alright, but I'm having trouble seeing the point of anything we are doing. I've been told first year is bad in comparison to second, but if its anything at all like first I just know I'm going to hate it. Everyone I've spoken to on my course seems to be liking it except me. I feel like I've made a huge mistake and don't really know where to turn. I don't know if I want to pursue more creative fine arty courses or continue on design. All I know is that I'm incredibly unhappy. Any advice/tips on who to go to?
    Hi Lilythepink123

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your course. 1st instance, speak to your student course rep. They should be able to give you all the help you need to look at maybe changing courses to something more suitable to you. You also need to speak to your personal tutor.

Industrial Design and Tech is a BA and is more concerned with the understanding of the creative form and aesthetics of manufactured products than the Product Design and Tech course so this may be more suited to you and what you are interested in.

If you need any more help, PM me your name and student ID and I can get the correct contacts for you and see what we can do because if you're disliking your course that much, then we need to get it sorted out!

Hope this helps
    Vicky
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lilythepink123)
    I've sent you a PM
    Vicky

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.