Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did an art foundation last year and loved it, but was also good at maths and physics, and wanted a course that combined them all. So I chose Product Design and Technology at Loughborough. Its the best product design course of its kind and I'm super lucky to have got on it, but I just hate it. Its not creative enough for me to feel like I'm making any progress creatively, nor is it intellectually stimulating (tonnes and tonnes of practical work, very formulaic etc etc). The workload is a lot but alright, but I'm having trouble seeing the point of anything we are doing. I've been told first year is bad in comparison to second, but if its anything at all like first I just know I'm going to hate it. Everyone I've spoken to on my course seems to be liking it except me. I feel like I've made a huge mistake and don't really know where to turn. I don't know if I want to pursue more creative fine arty courses or continue on design. All I know is that I'm incredibly unhappy. Any advice/tips on who to go to?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilythepink123)
    I did an art foundation last year and loved it, but was also good at maths and physics, and wanted a course that combined them all. So I chose Product Design and Technology at Loughborough. Its the best product design course of its kind and I'm super lucky to have got on it, but I just hate it. Its not creative enough for me to feel like I'm making any progress creatively, nor is it intellectually stimulating (tonnes and tonnes of practical work, very formulaic etc etc). The workload is a lot but alright, but I'm having trouble seeing the point of anything we are doing. I've been told first year is bad in comparison to second, but if its anything at all like first I just know I'm going to hate it. Everyone I've spoken to on my course seems to be liking it except me. I feel like I've made a huge mistake and don't really know where to turn. I don't know if I want to pursue more creative fine arty courses or continue on design. All I know is that I'm incredibly unhappy. Any advice/tips on who to go to?
    How about speaking to your tutor/student records office and arranging to suspend/intermit next year? That would give you time to take a gap year and think about what you want, apply elsewhere for more creative courses while still having the fall back of resuming in second year of your current course in 2018/19 if you decide with some distance that that's best for you.

Dropping out because of push factors without any ideas about what you'll do instead is risky (not so much because it's tough to find what to do but because it will feel like a negative decision instead of a positive move - running TO instead of AWAY is better for your soul). But you can have some space to think without burning any bridges on your current course (and often just knowing that you only need to put up with something for a very limited time - and you can relax about finding accommodation next year etc etc - will be the little boost you need to get through some tough times).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.