Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What I would like to do at uni, I am not very sure as we only get one personal statement, and my track record is not that great
    GCSE: 3A* 6As 1B
    A Level: Biology Chemistry and History
    Predicted (AAA* respictively)
    Should I go for dentistry or medicine, as I am attached to both, but I am afraid without maths A Level, I will be rejected by either. I have heard that there will be more spaces for 2018 entry, due to the government demanding it.
    I am worried about UKCAT and BMAT, as they play a big role in the actual getting the offer part
    Looking at KCL,QM,Queen's Belfast, Southampton, St George's and UCL

ReputationRep:
    You could get into both.

I get the vibe that you're more worried about which is the course you'd get into rather than which is the course you'd like to do. When you're choosing medicine or dentistry you're choosing something you'll be doing for the rest of your life, not just for the next 6 years. And there'll be some tough times ahead both during your course and later in your career. I haven't even started med school yet so I don't have lots of personal experience, but I'm pretty sure that it's hugely important to make sure that whatever you choose is actually the thing you want to do more than anything - being genuinely passionate about what you do will help you get through the bad times and also motivate you towards being the best doctor/dentist to your patients you can be. Have you done any work experience to see what it's like to work in medicine and dentistry? Have you read some things about, for example, the science behind medicine or dentistry that has excited you in particular?

Tbh I don't know much about dentistry admissions, but for medicine your GCSEs are below average. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't get in, but it means that if you decide to try medicine you need to be very careful in choosing your unis. KCL, for example, wouldn't be a wise option unless you get an absolutely brilliant UKCAT. As a very, very simplified rule of thumb, most med schools use either the UKCAT or the BMAT and sometimes GCSEs for shortlisting people for interview, and then make offers based on interview scores. I think your best shot would be to work hard to do well in the BMAT and UKCAT and apply to schools that mainly shortlist based on those. (examples - BMAT: Imperial, BSMS; UKCAT: Newcastle). Don't worry about not having maths at A level - if you're not applying to Cambridge and have biology and chemistry it doesn't matter.

Good luck whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmeplease11)
    What I would like to do at uni, I am not very sure as we only get one personal statement, and my track record is not that great
    GCSE: 3A* 6As 1B
    A Level: Biology Chemistry and History
    Predicted (AAA* respictively)
    Should I go for dentistry or medicine, as I am attached to both, but I am afraid without maths A Level, I will be rejected by either. I have heard that there will be more spaces for 2018 entry, due to the government demanding it.
    I am worried about UKCAT and BMAT, as they play a big role in the actual getting the offer part
    Looking at KCL,QM,Queen's Belfast, Southampton, St George's and UCL
    Your stats are fine, just make sure you get a good UKcat and BMAT for the Universities you have choosen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.