Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an atheist flat earther here to answer your questions. Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious, that person is clearly a troll
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtemisLogic)
    I think a "planet" in and of itself, is a concept with assumptive connotations attached to it. The 'idea' of a planet that we currently have, is one of solid matter, held together in a spherical body by a force called gravity.

This is not always how planets were viewed and is somewhat of a modern idea, only a few hundred years old.

Planets to our eyes are identical to stars, only that they move. The sumerians called the planets the "wandering stars", so that's what I think they are. Celestial luminaries.

And I think that's all 'stars' are too, celestial luminaries.
    So do you accept that planets, when viewed through a telescope, are clearly spherical? And the moon is spherical, and the sun?

And they traverse the sky, AND move nearer and further from the earth.

What holds them up? What makes them move in a regular and predictable pattern?

And specifically thinking about the moon; what happens during a lunar eclipse? What causes the shadow across it? What shape is the shadow?

Meanwhile. Have you seen a foucault's pendulum? (There's one at the Science Museum in London.) Why does it move the way it does?

ReputationRep:
    Not having access to a entire pharmacy's worth of blood pressure medication, I'm not going to debate the technicalities of why the notion of a flat earth is impossible. I don't need to - jneill , BigYoSpeck and others have done it well enough already.

Just this. The overwhelming majority of the world's educated population understands that the earth is an oblate spheroid. It is a fact so universally acknowledged that it isn't even referenced. It's as obvious and accepted as 'water is wet', or 'nothing is more certain than death and taxes', or 'so long as there's TSR, there'll be trolly behaviour'.

Given the weight of scientific evidence over the years and the consensus of generations of the world's population, why do you believe something so very, very silly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_herbivore)
    you can't compare a small spheroid to earth. When you walk you are practically walking on a flat surface because earth is so big.
    exactly! Checkmate round earthers
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Looks like OP has taken themselves for a walk and fallen off the edge.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll bite.

OP what's your view on Felix Baumgartner?

https://youtu.be/2rEO1nju_fw?t=161
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenWond3rboy)
    Alright, I'll bite.

OP what's your view on Felix Baumgartner?

And

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusanC)
    This is hilarious, that person is clearly a troll
    It is interesting to play along to see what arguments they propose.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.