Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone else is doing this A2 independent study/investigation. Basically, I have fallen behind and the deadline is on the horizon. I'm soon meant to be writing up a 4000-word essay on the topic "To what extent was the Vietnam war lost due to the hostility of the American media". I was hoping if anyone would be able to point me in the direction of good books and primary/secondary sources to meet the specification - we are meant to have a few primary and secondary sources for each factor, my other factors being American leadership (Political and Miltary), Strength of the Vietcong, Weaknesses of Americans e.g. soldiers, tactics and obviously the Role of the Media.
    Sorry for this post being long haha I am just trying to get the most info in to get the best responses, even if you can't help with the actual topic, advice on how to structure the essay would be greatly appreciated as my teacher is no use. Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Amusing Elk)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm doing the same thing as you. Think mine is due in two weeks?

Unfortunately can't advise you for sources or anything as my enquiry is totally different and I have no knowledge of the period you're studying.

I can help with the structure though:

Introduction: outline the debate, perhaps why it's relevant today (if at all), and what you're evaluating in the question. should be about 300/400 words

Main body: should be mostly primary sources with only a few secondary, each paragraph should have at least one quote from a source in it that you analyse, it should further the debate in some way e.g. which side of the debate does it agree with/how is it relevant and useful to the argument being made. Trying get a few prominent historians in there and their views. this should be about 3000 words.

Conclusion - don't add anything knew, answer the original question with your opinion. make it a convincing argument but like I said, don't bring anything new into the argument that you haven't already touched on in the main body. should be about 400 words.

hope this helps! ask any questions you want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.