Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently living in a flat which is pretty well insulated so doesn't often get very cold. When it does though, I actually feel scared to turn on the heating. My flatmate's parents own the flat so I've noticed she always monitors it and has told me in the past to only turn it on when absolutely necessary. Some days when I have it on she'll come home and turn it off straight away. I feel like, because it's her flat, she's always in control. Everything is included in my rent

Do I need to be more assertive?
KaylaB
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If it's included with your rent go nuts, you're paying to be there so you're entitled to use the facilities
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the heat is included in the rent you pay then you are bloody well entitled to have warmth and comfort.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KaylaB)
If it's included with your rent go nuts, you're paying to be there so you're entitled to use the facilities
Until the rent goes up for excessive utilities use. There's a difference between using what's included and taking the piss by 'going nuts'.
habeas.corpus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't be afraid to turn the heating on but be sensible. I rarely ever use my own heating (I live in my own flat).
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Speak to her about it. The fact you live in her parents shouldn't really give you less rights if you pay your rent but see where she stands because if there is a disagreement her parents aren't going to side with you. See if you can come to a compromise. Alternatively start putting the heating on at different times of day so it warms the house before she gets home.
DirtyDad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sting him back
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (28)
10.89%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
21.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.89%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.96%

Watched Threads