Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

failing to get good GCSE grades Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm got all D's below for year 11 mocks.
    Teachers have predicted me all B's and C's, couple A's.
    Does/has anybody been in the same position but made a 'miraculous' shift within 2-3 months?
    I'll be willing to put in quite a bit of effort and aiming all A and A* but I don't know if I can physically catch up with everyone else then pass them..
    Someone geve me advice such as
    1 maths past paper a week until exams.
    Learn as many quotes as you can for English.
    For history don't learn explanations because you can make them up on the spot in the exam.
    Memorise mark schemes for science because OCR are lazy and we're the last year to ever do the old exams.
    Please feel free to drop your opinion on whether, from your experience, it is possible or any other revision advice.
    (don't feel its too late either because this may help next year's GCSE)

ReputationRep:
    i have a similar problem especially with history. i personally struggle with writing answers but i have been recommended to try past paper questions to help. i would say it is quite an effective way to revise as it gives you a good idea of the type of questions you will see in the real exam which brings with it, more preparation and understanding. anyone else know any other effective ways to revise??

ReputationRep:
    For language based subjects where you need to learn a lot of vocab, here are a few tips: Revise words by context; Instead of revising words by themselves or a bunch of random words, put the words in a sentence and try learn that. Flash cards also help here, and if you are the type of person that likes flashcards, make them on vocab.

For science, you can also use flashcards to learn some of the terminology (or any other way that works best for you) and what i would do is make a list of topics, and tick them if you are confident or not and revise the ones you are not confident on and do some questions on those. After you are fairly confident on most of these topics, start doing past papers to practise exam technique (especially important when it comes to 6 mark questions) and if you find yourself struggling in one area, work to improve that (if you are stuck, there is a great forum i know that can help (you're on it if you are reading this)) If your school does revision sessions, attend a few to see if they help.

For maths, do a similar thing above, make a list of topics you are comfortable with and need to work on and start from there. The key to success in maths is practice practice practice.

ReputationRep:
    For history GCSE, there are relatively few marks for good essay technique, so just memorise facts and try to get as many down as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filmaker)
    I'm got all D's below for year 11 mocks.
    Teachers have predicted me all B's and C's, couple A's.
    Does/has anybody been in the same position but made a 'miraculous' shift within 2-3 months?
    I'll be willing to put in quite a bit of effort and aiming all A and A* but I don't know if I can physically catch up with everyone else then pass them..
    Someone geve me advice such as
    1 maths past paper a week until exams.
    Learn as many quotes as you can for English.
    For history don't learn explanations because you can make them up on the spot in the exam.
    Memorise mark schemes for science because OCR are lazy and we're the last year to ever do the old exams.
    Please feel free to drop your opinion on whether, from your experience, it is possible or any other revision advice.
    (don't feel its too late either because this may help next year's GCSE)
    I did my GCSE's last year and I was the last year (or second to last) for some subjects! I'm just warning you- don't think they'll ask you the same questions- usually it is actually NOT a good thing to be the last year of the old spec! For example, when I did my GCSE's, they made our maths paper MUCH harder than usual, raised the grade boundaries LOADS and completely messed up our biology paper! Tbh it wasn't too bad- I still got good grades but I'm just saying be careful and please don't make any assumptions!!! Best of luck!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarest)
    For language based subjects where you need to learn a lot of vocab, here are a few tips: Revise words by context; Instead of revising words by themselves or a bunch of random words, put the words in a sentence and try learn that. Flash cards also help here, and if you are the type of person that likes flashcards, make them on vocab.

For science, you can also use flashcards to learn some of the terminology (or any other way that works best for you) and what i would do is make a list of topics, and tick them if you are confident or not and revise the ones you are not confident on and do some questions on those. After you are fairly confident on most of these topics, start doing past papers to practise exam technique (especially important when it comes to 6 mark questions) and if you find yourself struggling in one area, work to improve that (if you are stuck, there is a great forum i know that can help (you're on it if you are reading this)) If your school does revision sessions, attend a few to see if they help.

For maths, do a similar thing above, make a list of topics you are comfortable with and need to work on and start from there. The key to success in maths is practice practice practice.
    OP, definitely use flashcards for science! I am doing chemistry a level and flashcards help SO much as sciences are usually content heavy!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.