Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My journey to rock and roll- TSR's Got talent 2017 entry Watch

ReputationRep:
    Judging from my username it's obvious that I like music. Whether it's listening to music or actually playing music. I had violin lesson for 3 years but then stupidly decided to quit, I even had several months of guitar lessons but that was several years ago. Which is why my talent is...

Learning the guitar (again)

I already own a guitar which is currently in my room next to my mirror (collecting dust). I will be teaching myself the guitar from the beginning so the very basics. It won't be easy but I'm up for a challenge.

I'm aiming to post at least once a week which will include written entries and photos. (Maybe videos too but no promises). :thrasher:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Testing, don't mind me. :iiam:

furryface12
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)

furryface12
    Amusing Elk
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)

furryface12
    Got this one! Who knowsss :lol:

While I'm here, this looks amazing! Looking forward to it 1secondsofvamps (great username too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Got this one! Who knowsss :lol:

While I'm here, this looks amazing! Looking forward to it 1secondsofvamps (great username too!)
    Thank you! It's half term next week so I'm looking forward to spending time on it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    Judging from my username it's obvious that I like music. Whether it's listening to music or actually playing music. I had violin lesson for 3 years but then stupidly decided to quit, I even had several months of guitar lessons but that was several years ago. Which is why my talent is...

Learning the guitar (again)

I already own a guitar which is currently in my room next to my mirror (collecting dust). I will be teaching myself the guitar from the beginning so the very basics. It won't be easy but I'm up for a challenge.

I'm aiming to post at least once a week which will include written entries and photos. (Maybe videos too but no promises). :thrasher:
    I used to learn violin too! Did you do any grades or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I used to learn violin too! Did you do any grades or anything?
    Yeah I did a grade 2 exam. I really wish I didn't quit, I would be around grade 6 by now. What about you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did a grade 2 exam. I really wish I didn't quit, I would be around grade 6 by now. What about you?
    I got to around the same point - I agree about wishing I hadn't quit, but at least you seem to be pushing on with guitar now! Are you learning acoustic or electric?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I got to around the same point - I agree about wishing I hadn't quit, but at least you seem to be pushing on with guitar now! Are you learning acoustic or electric?
    Acoustic

ReputationRep:
    Lesson one- 17/2/17

Name:  IMG_2286.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  441.9 KB
    These are the two books I will be using. They are old and used but I'm not gonna complain because my friend gave them to me for free. At the moment im using the book on the right just because it looks more fun and easier to understand.

I'm planning to only learn a small section each time just because I find that easier to process so today I have spent around half an hour on it learning:
    Note G
    Note A
    Quarter note (crotchet)
    Half note (minim)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is a cool project! I've been playing guitar for 8 years now, so if you need any help I'm just here! In my experience, playing guitar isn't really about the technical stuff and learning about minims and crotchets. It's about learning tabs, chords and scales. You can find loads on Ultimate Guitar - just type in your favourite song and it will probably come up! Learning to play guitar is about having fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amefish)
    This is a cool project! I've been playing guitar for 8 years now, so if you need any help I'm just here! In my experience, playing guitar isn't really about the technical stuff and learning about minims and crotchets. It's about learning tabs, chords and scales. You can find loads on Ultimate Guitar - just type in your favourite song and it will probably come up! Learning to play guitar is about having fun
    Wow, 8 years is impressive! How long did it take you to be able to play chords without any trouble?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 8 years is impressive! How long did it take you to be able to play chords without any trouble?
    Some chords still trouble me! But the simple ones such as A, Am, E, Em, C, Cm, D, etc... probably took me a couple of weeks? I'm not sure though, it has been a long time

ReputationRep:
    Lesson two- 3/3/17

Name:  IMG_2288.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  402.7 KB
    Spent today recapping what I previously learnt. Then I spent around half and hour learning note B and playing simple songs (including Hot across Buns!) that only requires the stuff I've learnt so far.

The stuff I have learnt today are:
    Note B
    Half rest
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Lesson two- 3/3/17

Name:  IMG_2288.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  402.7 KB
    Spent today recapping what I previously learnt. Then I spent around half and hour learning note B and playing simple songs (including Hot across Buns!) that only requires the stuff I've learnt so far.

The stuff I have learnt today are:
    Note B
    Half rest
    Great to see you're progressing nicely with this!

ReputationRep:
    Lesson three- 10/3/17

Decided to ditch the books today and use Yousician. It was my first time using that app in ages so a lot has changed. It's good and v accurate but it only lets me practice a small section each day -.- smh I can't afford to pay for the premium version so I'll just have to wait till tomorrow for another "free" session.

Anyway I today I was learning:
    songs that uses the first 3 frets and how to switch between the different strings

ReputationRep:
    Lesson four- 11/3/17

Since I'm ahead with coursework I had time to practice the guitar today. I don't really have a structure for learning it so I'm just going to follow the step by step instructions on Yousician.
    Attachment 626354
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like it's going great! Little and often is definitely the best way well done on being ahead on coursework too, don't think many people can say that this time of year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    This sounds like it's going great! Little and often is definitely the best way well done on being ahead on coursework too, don't think many people can say that this time of year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, work at this time of the year can be quite hectic which is why I have been super focused making sure I don't get behind. The guitar is going great. In fact, it is a lot better than I thought so I'm really enjoying it so far

ReputationRep:
    REALLY HELPFUL LINKS:

https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...sjWPFiZhQ5uudg

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoeSongs

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.