Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Graduated from Warwick doing Accounting and Finance in 2016. I've been working at an early-stage start-up since in addition to running a tuition business and I've done a BB MO Risk internship in the past.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get into an IB position? Have I left it too late or is there a chance?

My goal is to find a temporary role within IB/VC/PE as an intern if possible and leverage that to apply to full time graduate roles come September. Would that give me a fair chance or is landing a full-time IB role 2 years after graduation(2018 start) a no-go?

And what if I can't secure banking experience by application season, would I still stand a chance then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    Truth is I was more geared towards start-ups but I'd like to take a more traditional grad role where i gain skills and experiences, then maybe try start-ups some point in the future.
    If this is your goal, why are you intent on IB? £?

Would have thought there's other experience more relevant to your target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    If this is your goal, why are you intent on IB? £?

Would have thought there's other experience more relevant to your target.
    I think you've misinterpreted what I said. I always wanted to do the start-up thing and that's what I did post-graduation. Truthfully, it is exciting and gives you a broad skill-set and a high level of autonomy that graduate roles won't provide. The drawback is it's volatile and there is little structure to your development or life; this is something I was blinded to in the past.

I didn't say I'd like to leap back into start-ups at all. Rather, it's a possibility at a future point as are a number of other careers. Of course the '£' side of banking is attractive but there are a ton of other benefits like being your professional credibility, future opportunity, exposure to seniors and an industry I enjoyed studying during my UG and personal development (it gives you a solid work ethic and you learn a lot compared to other jobs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    I think you've misinterpreted what I said. I always wanted to do the start-up thing and that's what I did post-graduation. Truthfully, it is exciting and gives you a broad skill-set and a high level of autonomy that graduate roles won't provide. The drawback is it's volatile and there is little structure to your development or life; this is something I was blinded to in the past.

I didn't say I'd like to leap back into start-ups at all. Rather, it's a possibility at a future point as are a number of other careers. Of course the '£' side of banking is attractive but there are a ton of other benefits like being your professional credibility, future opportunity, exposure to seniors and an industry I enjoyed studying during my UG and personal development (it gives you a solid work ethic and you learn a lot compared to other jobs).
    Hmm. I'm not sure this is what you said, but benefit of the doubt that this is what you meant

I'd assume given you've graduated from a target you have a shot at IB, but lack of relevant work experience will hurt your chances. If you're keen to go for it then you haven't got much to lose by applying and seeing where you get to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.