• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    :cookie:

I'm looking forward to this.....

Who else is watching?

What do you think?

Fake news, lugenpresse... everything is getting so polarised now, people ignoring news that doesn't fit their worldview.

And if you disagree with me you are a paid Kremlin troll
      • TSR Community Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      News all feels like one big blurry mess at the moment, it's just headlines passed around on social media that are 99% not true. I like TSR for the discussion around it which gets to the truth.
      • TSR Community Team
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      I think it's come at the perfect time. C4 have pretty much nailed their timing when everyone is raving about clickbait, have their head in their hands following "alternative facts" and fed up with stories of fear being peddled.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Fake news, lugenpresse... everything is getting so polarised now, people ignoring news that doesn't fit their worldview.

And if you disagree with me you are a paid Kremlin troll
      I see that too - but I blame our mainstream media for that. People have a limited worldview because what they get to "see" is such a limited view of what is actually going on.
      • TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
      I'm going to be watching a bit later on, quite intrigued by it. What were your thoughts?
      • Community Assistant
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      Yes yes. A program to tell us what fake news is. Paradoxical - what if this show is also fake news?

Not on your nelly will I be watching this :hmmm:
      • TSR Community Team
      • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Paracosm)
      I'm going to be watching a bit later on, quite intrigued by it. What were your thoughts?
      It's pretty light tonight to be honest, has the whole 8 out of 10 cats kind of vibe. Good discussion, it's a warm-up to the rest of the week - that's my opinion anyway

(Original post by Mimir)
      Yes yes. A program to tell us what fake news is. Paradoxical - what if this show is also fake news?

Not on your nelly will I be watching this :hmmm:
      I see your point :lol:

Personally I trust Channel 4, it's completely subjective. But as a broadcaster I generally feel that their mission is to not necessarily to influence but provide opinions and discussion in an informative but accessible way. Their programmes resonate with my values and I guess my feelings about a broad range of issues and ideas so I trust them to do this over other mainstream/ traditional UK channels

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/n...fake-news-week

ReputationRep:
      Channel 4: "Our news isn't fake. We just accentuate and repeat social misdemeanours perpetrated by white men and omit, rationalise and contextualise social misdemeanours perpetrated by everyone else. You don't know what you don't know - why? Because we don't tell you. It's called progressivism, stupid!"

The moronic nature of most suggests the BBC and Channel 4 are impartial: "both the left and right think it's biased, so it must be balanced!" Bull.It's perceived balanced because you view the world through the lens of the Third Way; the BBC is unequivocally Third Way. The Third Way was the amalgamation of far-left social values and right-wing economics - it was ushered in by Blair, Clinton and Schroder. The political spectrum didn't change, The Third Way killed it (and, in the most idiotic fashion imaginable, disenfranchised millions in the process).

Anything opposed to the The Third Way - a paradigm they no longer discuss - either never passes through the BBC's filter or is propagated to death. Take UKIP and Godfrey Bloom's comment on 'bongo bongo land.' Now, no argument from me that's inappropriate - however did it really warrant being repeated across 117 BBC news items? That's not reporting, it's propaganda. They set a standard for his behaviour, one they never apply to any other party or identity. Diane Abbott, for example, proclaims 'white people love to play divide and rule' and guess how much coverage it gets? 1 news item - the headline was 'Diane Abbott apologises.'

The UK didn't reject UKIP, the BBC did.

That's not impartial, but the reason it's deemed impartial is because the BBC's definition of 'impartial' is absolute nonsense. Impartiality isn't found in one or two items of coverage, it's found in what news organisation choose to omit, accentuate, repeat, contextualise and rationalise. The Third Way disenfranchised anyone and everyone who didn't want to dilute classical liberalism along identity lines, or who happened to believe in left-wing economic policy, social conservatism or Libertarianism.

These were merely deemed centrist, left-wing or -right wing viewpoints prior to the advent of the Third Way; post Third Way they are deemed the precise definition of 'white supremacy', 'far-right' or lunacy. The Third Way disenfranchised millions; their attempts to destroy the political spectrum and forge a consensus created Trump (social conservatism, classical liberalism and left-wing economics), Brexit (classical liberalism, opposition to neo-liberalism) and Corbyn (left-wing economics), all of whom merely represent the orphaned ideologies and philosophies of the legacy political spectrum.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SnowflakeFurnace)
      Channel 4: "Our news isn't fake. We just accentuate and repeat social misdemeanours perpetrated by white men and omit, rationalise and contextualise social misdemeanours perpetrated by everyone else. You don't know what you don't know - why? Because we don't tell you. It's called progressivism, stupid!"

The moronic nature of most suggests the BBC and Channel 4 are impartial: "both the left and right think it's biased, so it must be balanced!" Bull.It's perceived balanced because you view the world through the lens of the Third Way; the BBC is unequivocally Third Way. The Third Way was the amalgamation of far-left social values and right-wing economics - it was ushered in by Blair, Clinton and Schroder. The political spectrum didn't change, The Third Way killed it (and, in the most idiotic fashion imaginable, disenfranchised millions in the process).

Anything opposed to the The Third Way - a paradigm they no longer discuss - either never passes through the BBC's filter or is propagated to death. Take UKIP and Godfrey Bloom's comment on 'bongo bongo land.' Now, no argument from me that's inappropriate - however did it really warrant being repeated across 117 BBC news items? That's not reporting, it's propaganda. They set a standard for his behaviour, one they never apply to any other party or identity. Diane Abbott, for example, proclaims 'white people love to play divide and rule' and guess how much coverage it gets? 1 news item - the headline was 'Diane Abbott apologises.'

The UK didn't reject UKIP, the BBC did.

That's not impartial, but the reason it's deemed impartial is because the BBC's definition of 'impartial' is absolute nonsense. Impartiality isn't found in one or two items of coverage, it's found in what news organisation choose to omit, accentuate, repeat, contextualise and rationalise. The Third Way disenfranchised anyone and everyone who didn't want to dilute classical liberalism along identity lines, or who happened to believe in left-wing economic policy, social conservatism or Libertarianism.

These were merely deemed centrist, left-wing or -right wing viewpoints prior to the advent of the Third Way; post Third Way they are deemed the precise definition of 'white supremacy', 'far-right' or lunacy. The Third Way disenfranchised millions; their attempts to destroy the political spectrum and forge a consensus created Trump (social conservatism, classical liberalism and left-wing economics), Brexit (classical liberalism, opposition to neo-liberalism) and Corbyn (left-wing economics), all of whom merely represent the orphaned ideologies and philosophies of the legacy political spectrum.
      Do you feel better for that? Better out than in. Now just go and lie down there and it will be all right in the morning. Don't forget Teddy!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by nulli tertius)
      Do you feel better for that? Better out than in. Now just go and lie down there and it will be all right in the morning. Don't forget Teddy!
      Oh, aren't you clever. I love this approach - in the absence of any ability to formulate a counter-argument, you resort to mocking your opponent in a futile attempt to try and afford credibility to your shortcomings.

Want to debate like a grown-up? Debate. Want to play political smackdown? I suggest Twitter.com, it's more your style.

ReputationRep:
      Well as the old saying goes; "I read it on the internet so it must be true".

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.