Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. So I'm Emma and I'm currently in S5 of High School in Scotland. Right now, I am studying Computing Science, English, Geography, Maths and Physics - all at Higher level - and recently achieved 5As in my prelims.

On Wednesday, I have to pick my choices for subjects for next year, however I am unsure as to the best options. I want to study maths and computing science at university so am keen to take Adv. Higher Maths and Computing next year but have always wanted to take the NPA Cyber Security course (which has no exam so would allow me to concentrate on the 2 other, more demanding subjects). But, I was advised by my physics teacher to take Adv. Physics too. The only qualms I have with this is that Cyber and Adv. Physics are in the same column, so I'm left perplexed as to which to choose.

Would 3 Adv. Highers be too much work? Or would I possible to work on the Cyber course in my own time in addition to the 3 aforementioned subjects?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Emma

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people do 3 Adv Highers so you should be fine. But if you get 5 As at Higher in the final exams, youre going to get an Unconditional Offer from pretty much every Scottish Uni. If you're applying OxBridge they'll usually want 2-3 Advanced Higher A's + 5A's. Its a good idea to think about your uni course before you chose S6 subjects, or at least check roughly what the entries are so you have an idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferm4t)
    Lots of people do 3 Adv Highers so you should be fine. But if you get 5 As at Higher in the final exams, youre going to get an Unconditional Offer from pretty much every Scottish Uni. If you're applying OxBridge they'll usually want 2-3 Advanced Higher A's + 5A's. Its a good idea to think about your uni course before you chose S6 subjects, or at least check roughly what the entries are so you have an idea.
    Thanks so much for your help! And yeah I think I'm gonna go with the 3 Adv. Highers tbh coz I guess Cyber is always something I could pick up later on.
    The 3 subjects also fit better with the Uni course I'm planning to apply for which is Compuer Science with Maths - and I think the requirements for that is 4As at Higher. I was considering OxBridge too so I think it'd work better to take the Adv. subjects for that reason too!

Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.