Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey guys so I am going on a coffee date with this girl later on in the week and I'm really nervous about it. I'm kinda worried that I won't have too much stuff in common with her and I'm not really too sure what to discuss. The guys she normally hangs around with are kinda the typical 'lads' type of guys, if you know what I mean by that. Whereas I'm more of a.... skinny jeans, vans, band t-shirts etc lol, I'll take rock/metal over dance/hiphop any day. I realise its a really vague description of the situation I'm in but if you guys would be able to post some advice or anything it'd be much appreciated! It should also be worth noting that I've not gone on many of these 1 on 1 meet up kind of dates with girls before, just a couple and they were always my 'type' where it'd be fairly easy to get a conversation going even just about music or something.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey guys so I am going on a coffee date with this girl later on in the week and I'm really nervous about it. I'm kinda worried that I won't have too much stuff in common with her and I'm not really too sure what to discuss. The guys she normally hangs around with are kinda the typical 'lads' type of guys, if you know what I mean by that. Whereas I'm more of a.... skinny jeans, vans, band t-shirts etc lol, I'll take rock/metal over dance/hiphop any day. I realise its a really vague description of the situation I'm in but if you guys would be able to post some advice or anything it'd be much appreciated! It should also be worth noting that I've not gone on many of these 1 on 1 meet up kind of dates with girls before, just a couple and they were always my 'type' where it'd be fairly easy to get a conversation going even just about music or something.
    Keep it simple, talk about likes, dislikes favourite things, what your goals are.

ReputationRep:
    Well, she may usually hang out with lad type of guys but she did say yes to meeting you for coffee so you're off to a good start!
    As easy as it is to say.... and hard to do.... just be yourself. I think it is always best to casually ask her questions and follow up questions about her. The more you can get her to talk about herself the more, hopefully, you can find a connection to discuss. When it is your turn to talk be honest with her about what you like, the music you like, weekend activities you enjoy. If you truly don't have much in common or just don't click better to know it sooner than later. But don't be too discouraged because actually a lot of opposites do attract. Just go, ask her about herself and ask follow up questions (be interested and listen to her response), talk about your interests, goals, family etc,
    and just see how smoothly the conversation flows even if you don't have a ton in common. First in foremost you both have in common the interest in meeting for coffee..... a great start! Good Luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.