Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Mother makes me feel stressed sometimes Watch

Okay, my Mother takes a lot of care of us and loves each one of us kids however sometimes she makes me feel very unhappy. The thing is she always makes me do chores after school and insists I clean the kitchen and living room. I wouldn't mind but the way she says it annoys me. She claims that when I get married I will need to do this kind of stuff everyday as a wife and mother. And I'm like Mum! I'm only a teenager. She's been making me do chores since I was like 7. My brothers have never had to do anything! And she says it's okay becusse they won't have to. She then brings up stuff about marriage and how she wants me to get married what she is going to buy for me the day I get married and its honestly driving me crazy! Whenever I tell her to stop talking about it she tells me to be quite in a really mean way. I guess it's normal for mothers to think about their kids marriages but she just keeps bringing it up all the time. It makes me feel embarrassed and upset that I can't concerte on my work.
    What is the best way to deal with this?
    I've tried ignoring her but she gets angry and knows. When I pretend to agree she just keeps going in and on.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds very backwards, even by some more traditional people's standards! The idea that women have no role but to clean up and do chores is outdated by what I would say is near enough a century. Perhaps you should tell her this?

(Original post by JooW)
    That sounds very backwards, even by some more traditional people's standards! The idea that women have no role but to clean up and do chores is outdated by what I would say is near enough a century. Perhaps you should tell her this?
    That's exactly the thing! She's a very educated And has herself studied Socioalogy (can't spell) and accountancy. She never brought the whole marriage thing up before it's just now when I'm getting older. She then goes on about this duel burden thing which is something linked to Socioalogy or whatever, she claims that with all the research she's done women need to do housework. She still wants me to be very educated but she believes that things like this keep a good marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, my Mother takes a lot of care of us and loves each one of us kids however sometimes she makes me feel very unhappy. The thing is she always makes me do chores after school and insists I clean the kitchen and living room. I wouldn't mind but the way she says it annoys me. She claims that when I get married I will need to do this kind of stuff everyday as a wife and mother. And I'm like Mum! I'm only a teenager. She's been making me do chores since I was like 7. My brothers have never had to do anything! And she says it's okay becusse they won't have to. She then brings up stuff about marriage and how she wants me to get married what she is going to buy for me the day I get married and its honestly driving me crazy! Whenever I tell her to stop talking about it she tells me to be quite in a really mean way. I guess it's normal for mothers to think about their kids marriages but she just keeps bringing it up all the time. It makes me feel embarrassed and upset that I can't concerte on my work.
    What is the best way to deal with this?
    I've tried ignoring her but she gets angry and knows. When I pretend to agree she just keeps going in and on.
    Let me tell it's not normal for non-Muslim households (I bet I'm right) to discuss marriage when you're a teenager.

I think you have to suck it up as you're only a teenager, and get older and wiser when you're doing A-levels, and move to university if you're able to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I was too scared to ask whether they were perhaps not of English background^, lmao. I mean yeah she's right that women do a lot of housework still, but it's not good to assume that you will be doing housework all your life.

(Original post by tehforum)
    Let me tell it's not normal for non-Muslim households (I bet I'm right) to discuss marriage when you're a teenager.

Actually ot happens in a lot of religions/cultures I could name a few for you. I've even had some of my friends discuss it.

I think you have to suck it up as you're only a teenager, and get older and wiser when you're doing A-levels, and move to university if you're able to do so.
    I guess your right, it seems as though being a teenager added like twenty years into to my life the way people around me are acting. I guess I just need to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I guess your right, it seems as though being a teenager added like twenty years into to my life the way people around me are acting. I guess I just need to deal with it.

"Actually ot happens in a lot of religions/cultures I could name a few for you. I've even had some of my friends discuss it. "

I'm sure it does, but I wasn't wrong was I?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.