Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need A level option help!! Maths or RS?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently about to take my GCSEs but I need to choose my A levels now.

I know I want to do a career in Medicine or Dentistry and I must take Biology and Chemistry, however I am not sure what to take for my 3rd.
    I have narrowed it down to RS (Religious Studies) and Maths.

I enjoy RS and have heard it is becoming more and more valued to universities but maths seems to be the standard one to take. I am good at maths but do not enjoy it and RS apparently provides a good ethical insight which is good for medicine.

Any advice is helpful thanks.

ReputationRep:
    dont do maths. whats the point. it is just extra stress and not even needed when it comes to uni. unless your predicted an A* in it at GCSE. I personally do not see anything beneficial. Although chemistry IS basically 80% maths

Do the subjects you enjoy and not the ones that make you question your very existence. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgsb123)
    Hello,

I know I want to do a career in Medicine or Dentistry and I must take Biology and Chemistry, however I am not sure what to take for my 3rd.

I enjoy RS and have heard it is becoming more and more valued to universities but maths seems to be the standard one to take. I am good at maths but do not enjoy it and RS apparently provides a good ethical insight which is good for medicine.

I, mself chose Maths + further maths (kinda panicking right now LOL) and I was wondering, if u would like to share, what u got in ur maths mock cuz im really interested cuz i flopped mine so im working REALLY HARD on it rn.

Anyways, I do RS for GCSE and personally, I think is very formulaic. The questions are the same style, the same content in different words and some of the questions that come up are meant to be "common sense" and are not in the spec but u need to answer them which are hard. Maths would be great as it shows that you are a problem solver, and can deal with small aswell as big numbers which can be eye catchin to job employers aswell as russel group unis!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellyandjam)
    dont do maths. whats the point. it is just extra stress and not even needed when it comes to uni. unless your predicted an A* in it at GCSE. I personally do not seen anything beneficial. Although chemistry IS basically 80% maths
    Okay thx but im predicted A* in both

ReputationRep:
    dont do maths. whats the point. it is just extra stress and not even needed when it comes to uni. unless your predicted an A* in it at GCSE. I personally do not see anything beneficial. Although chemistry IS basically 80% maths

Do the subjects you enjoy and not the ones that make you question your very existence. :P
    LOL true!

ReputationRep:
    Okay thx but im predicted A* in both
    if you are predicted an A* then I'd say do it, it does look good on applications but not worth the stress. haha I have learnt from last year :P

Best of luck and be willing to put in some hardwork!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingButWaleed)
    I, mself chose Maths + further maths (kinda panicking right now LOL) and I was wondering, if u would like to share, what u got in ur maths mock cuz im really interested cuz i flopped mine so im working REALLY HARD on it rn.

Anyways, I do RS for GCSE and personally, I think is very formulaic. The questions are the same style, the same content in different words and some of the questions that come up are meant to be "common sense" and are not in the spec but u need to answer them which are hard. Maths would be great as it shows that you are a problem solver, and can deal with small aswell as big numbers which can be eye catchin to job employers aswell as russel group unis!
    I got a 7 in my maths mock (new grading system, equivalent to an A) but do you think by taking rs it would hinder my chances of getting the course I want in uni?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure that the 3rd one is something you'd enjoy because when the struggle gets real, you need something that will trigger your motivation again.

ReputationRep:
    if you are predicted an A* then I'd say do it, it does look good on applications but not worth the stress. haha I have learnt from last year :P

Best of luck and be willing to put in some hardwork!!!
    Yep thanks )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    Make sure that the 3rd one is something you'd enjoy because when the struggle gets real, you need something that will trigger your motivation again.
    Okay thanks I enjoy RS more

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

don't do maths if you don't enjoy it!! You are never going to pit as much work in to a subject that you don't enjoy! One thing to bear in mind is that rs is alot of writing, so if you're not prepared to do that maybe consider something else. Afew people I know took maths but didn't enjoy it, and they all ending up changing subjects, which is something you don't really want to do!!!
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Why not both?

ReputationRep:
    I got a 7 in my maths mock (new grading system, equivalent to an A) but do you think by taking rs it would hinder my chances of getting the course I want in uni?
    i dont think it would. being a medic isnt all about the academic side, by picking RS you are able to show that you have a better understanding when it comes to people and presumably are more open to people from other ideas of faith and backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    NOO, definitely no,
    RS shows that you are a comprehensive thinker which shows that you can develop your thoughts to represent your side of views aswell as the opposing sides counter arguments which is a high level skill. BTW i got a 5 (im kinda retarted but im working really hard right now, i didn't take my mocks really seriously - BIG MISTAKE)!

ReputationRep:
    Never take an option with "studies" in the title!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethrose2813)
    don't do maths if you don't enjoy it!! You are never going to pit as much work in to a subject that you don't enjoy! One thing to bear in mind is that rs is alot of writing, so if you're not prepared to do that maybe consider something else. Afew people I know took maths but didn't enjoy it, and they all ending up changing subjects, which is something you don't really want to do!!!
    good luck!
    Im prepared for everything lol but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hōseki)
    Why not both?
    School only letting us do 3 a levels as you no longer get an AS level if you drop a subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingButWaleed)
    NOO, definitely no,
    RS shows that you are a comprehensive thinker which shows that you can develop your thoughts to represent your side of views aswell as the opposing sides counter arguments which is a high level skill. BTW i got a 5 (im kinda retarted but im working really hard right now, i didn't take my mocks really seriously - BIG MISTAKE)!
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do maths, its a no-brainer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    Never take an option with "studies" in the title!
    Why not ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.