Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I take GCSE PE?? Help! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so:
    I'm about to choose my options for GCSE :confused: and I've been considering PE, I'm not the most sporty person in my class and I've noticed how only the really popular and skinny people are taking it. So, I'm really worried that I'll be judged and of not being good enough.
    I take different sports outside of school, kickboxing and fencing, and I've always enjoyed, and been good at, swimming. But again, I'm very self conscious of what people might think about me. I've asked my teachers and they said I'd be good at it since, at our school, 60% theory and they said id be able to pass the practical. I've also looked on other forums and asked friends but lots have said its only for 'real athletes', which I am not. I do quite enjoy sport and think the theory sounds interesting but I'm still not sure, help!!:afraid::afraid::afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Take it, it's really fun. I did a variety of sports for my practical and it gives you the oppurtunity to find something you never knew you were good at! Its still got that theory element that can compensate for your average sporting ability. Even then, you can get graded for things like officiating a game which requires the physical fitness of a potato. "Real athletes" lol no way there were people of different abilities doing PE most of which got high A's and A stars.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I did PE and I'm not skinny or really fit.

The theory is dead easy, like really easy. There's just quite a lot of it, so you need to allow yourself time to revise it all - something I didn't do and regretted massively.

If you do sports outside of school you're instantly at an advantage - you're likely to get some pretty high scores for them and have your life made easier. I relied on sports I did in school and got atrocious scores for my practical, even in my strongest sport (hockey).

If you do do it you'll probably want to get a bit fitter to not be as far behind the others. Maybe start going to a gym? That helped me massively. I was the worst at the practical element and didn't get teased that much, and the odd occasion I did I tried to laugh it off anyway. I'm sure you'll be okay. And in my school it wasn't just the skinny popular people who chose it - most were athletic boys but the girls weren't that popular or "skinny". No one really judged, but I do realise this'll be different between schools.

What else are you considering?

For the record, I didn't pass PE. I got a D, which I was very annoyed about because it didn't fit in well with my other grades and I wished I'd picked a subject I would have had a better chance at doing well in (French). But if your teachers are confident about you passing the practical you wouldn't have much to worry about
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by _everosie)
    Okay, so:
    I'm about to choose my options for GCSE :confused: and I've been considering PE, I'm not the most sporty person in my class and I've noticed how only the really popular and skinny people are taking it. So, I'm really worried that I'll be judged and of not being good enough.
    I take different sports outside of school, kickboxing and fencing, and I've always enjoyed, and been good at, swimming. But again, I'm very self conscious of what people might think about me. I've asked my teachers and they said I'd be good at it since, at our school, 60% theory and they said id be able to pass the practical. I've also looked on other forums and asked friends but lots have said its only for 'real athletes', which I am not. I do quite enjoy sport and think the theory sounds interesting but I'm still not sure, help!!:afraid::afraid::afraid:
    Think about whether you can get a good grade or if you have an interest in doing A level or some sort of sports science degree. Academically its going to be viewed as a soft option, but one GCSE doesnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)

What else are you considering?
    I'm considering history and double languages, Spanish and French, a couple of my older friends have said how you should have a more 'relaxed' lesson where you don't have to write down as much as well, pe could be good for that?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _everosie)
    I'm considering history and double languages, Spanish and French, a couple of my older friends have said how you should have a more 'relaxed' lesson where you don't have to write down as much as well, pe could be good for that?
    That was exactly why I chose it, and I did enjoy having 2 extra practical lessons a week on top of the core one. It is really good for giving you a break from your written subjects and just get moving. Also I learnt a lot about how to live healthily from the theory - I actually know how to exercise effectively in a gym and how to manage diet and stuff so it's one of the most helpful subjects for transferable skills to real life.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! I think I will take it now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.