Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I live with two other people and, whilst they don't seem to have a problem with cooking, I am really struggling. All of the kitchen utensils and dishes are dirty despite them going through the dishwasher - my flatmates put them in without rinsing beforehand so they come out with food still stuck to them. So I've resorted to having a few dishes and cutlery in my room which I have to take out every time I 'cook'... I'm limited as to what I can actually make as everything is so dirty so I just stick to quick things like stir fries, pasta, oven food. It also means I have to cook when they are not in there as I don't want them to see I've brought my own dish, and I also have to clean pots & pans right before I use them using a sponge from my kitchen cupboard.

I find it odd that my flatmates are able to make curries and other time consuming dishes that require a lot of prep when everything is just so so dirty. It's frustrating because I am not able to eat what I really want to. If things were clean I'd be slightly more adventurous.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

ReputationRep:
    I'm by no means a clean freak but it really get wound up by this some days. Unfortunately it's something that you often won't find out until you move in with someone. My flatmate is okay but her boyfriend leaves stuff greasy and with food stuck to it every time. My attitude towards it is **** it, I'll just wash it again later myself. It's not like it takes any time extra really if I'm washing up my own stuff anyway.

Don't keep score, live with it and hope for cleaner flatmates next year.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.