Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Britain moving towards 1930's Germany Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    >The pound is at its lowest values in decades.
    So? Why do people automatically assume that a low pound is automatically a bad thing. Do you know that China purposely devalues its currency in order to get cheaper exports.
    You can't compare us with China. China's economy is based on manufacturing cheap products for export around the world. It is therefore in their interests to have a low currency to make exports competitive around the world.

The UKs economy is based on a high value service economy that fuels consumer spending of said Chinese imports. If consumer spending slumps, so too does the economy. The UK competes in the export market on high margin high quality or technical products. A weak pound is naturally a benefit to this industry but will not see low skilled, high volume manufacturing jobs coming back to this country. The cost of living is just too high to sustain that kind of pipe dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    It all starts somewhere.

Their scapegoats were Jews, your scapegoats are immigrants.
    oh right
    to it all starts
    with a controlled immigration policy.
    yeah
    okay
    :|

ReputationRep:
    Yes, dirty dad will be in reign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueArmy)
    Please discuss i will add my description when i have gauged the opinion of people on here
    The only thing Britain is moving towards is total irrelevance, and it's picking up speed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    >The pound is at its lowest values in decades.
    So? Why do people automatically assume that a low pound is automatically a bad thing. Do you know that China purposely devalues its currency in order to get cheaper exports.

>the government is contemplating raising university prices when most of Europe offers university for free
    Nothing's ever free. The people in these countries with universities that are free pay for them through their taxes. Also Britain has the best universities in Europe

While our debt and growth isn't great, it's really mental gymnastics to say that Britain isn't moving in the right direction. The OECD is predicting good growth after Brexit.
    No. Britain is a hasbeen, and you know it...

ReputationRep:
    The Great Depression occurred in 1929 so we aren't in an economic crisis in the country but who knows what Brexit will bring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleNerple)
    no. controlling immigration is not nazism ffs. this is why the left is dead in the west - they are drowning in their own false hysteria.
    As soon as the right proves itself to be totally inept at solving the various problems it claims it's going to solve, society will come crawling back to the left. That's how it's always been in life since the dawn of politics. Right-left-right-left-right-left like some kind of demented yoyo...

ReputationRep:
    no, you don't see cheerful youngsters enjoying themselves in the countryside

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...pictures#img-3

ReputationRep:
    oh right
    to it all starts
    with a controlled immigration policy.
    yeah
    okay
    :|
    Yes, because a "controlled immigration policy" has found resonance totally not for xenophobic or even racist opinions within the population. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    One day I'll open a thread with a title like this and the first post will simply say:

No.

/Thread
    One day... :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    What does that have to do with this thread topic at all?
    You said we were voting them in, but we didn't vote Theresa May in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    You said we were voting them in, but we didn't vote Theresa May in.
    No I didn't, I said we AREN'T voting in maniacs who exterminate races.

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't, I said we AREN'T voting in maniacs who exterminate races.
    Um no. "And is voting in power maniacs who want to exterminate entire races"
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Um no. "And is voting in power maniacs who want to exterminate entire races"
    How dense are you to not realise I was taking the piss out of the OP with them exaggerating about the UK's situation and that I was not referring to Theresa being voted?

ReputationRep:
    How dense are you to not realise I was taking the piss out of the OP with them exaggerating about the UK's situation and that I was not referring to Theresa being voted?
    Considering people have made claims even more ridiculous than that on this site alone, and that you can't get sarcasm across the Internet very well, It was perfectly plausible that you were another Brexit hater who couldn't accept that the decision has been made.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Considering people have made claims even more ridiculous than that on this site alone, and that you can't get sarcasm across the Internet very well, It was perfectly plausible that you were another Brexit hater who couldn't accept that the decision has been made.
    The part about exterminating races alone should be enough to give away I was taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    a) No, Britain is not moving toward 1930s Germany
    b) Better 1930s Germany than 2010s Sweden (if you're a woman or child)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Yes, because a "controlled immigration policy" has found resonance totally not for xenophobic or even racist opinions within the population. :rolleyes:
    ...that's like saying the labour party's policies have "totally not" found support from far left communists, cultural marxists, radical feminists, fascist blairites and SWJ nutcases. is it relevant?

ReputationRep:
    ...that's like saying the labour party's policies have "totally not" found support from far left communists, cultural marxists, radical feminists, fascist blairites and SWJ nutcases. is it relevant?
    No, it's not like that at all.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is 6 years in to one of the biggest periods of defence cuts its has ever been through especially in terms of cutting armed forces personnel and there is more to come.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-cash-squeeze/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.