Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2nd car under £3.5k, insurance under 1.5k roughly Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at what to replace my car with for next year, and I have £3,500 to spend on the car with £1,500 on insurance, basically £5k total.

I was looking at getting a mini cooper s, or a BMW e46 or perhaps a newer version with higher miles.

What are some good cars in my price range?

By the time I buy the car, I hope, I'll have 1 year ncd.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    I was looking at what to replace my car with for next year, and I have £3,500 to spend on the car with £1,500 on insurance, basically £5k total.

I was looking at getting a mini cooper s, or a BMW e46 or perhaps a newer version with higher miles.

What are some good cars in my price range?

By the time I buy the car, I hope, I'll have 1 year ncd.
    How old are you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    How old are you?
    17, but 18 with 1 yr ncd when I buy my next car.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    17, but 18 with 1 yr ncd when I buy my next car.
    You won't be able to go too high on the engine size so do bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Have a play on compare the meerkat etc with altered details to give you the right age, ncb and length of time you've held your license. Auto trader have plenty of cars with photos of their license plates.

As a, hopefully, 18yr old with 1 years ncb I can't see you getting a cooper s - not sure about BMW but pretty much all of them are relatively high on insurance.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Im 19 but only with 1 years ncd, have just been quoted 1200 for a 2litre bmw 320d by direct line, so its certainly possible Just gotta get a bit lucky aha! Imagine the Mini would be more tho, for an inferior car imo

ReputationRep:
    What's your current car?

ReputationRep:
    I have a mini one, I spent £3500 on the car and £800 on insurance (three people buisness insurance, with no claims)

ReputationRep:
    Both Mini Cooper S and E46 will be out of the question. 1.25L Fiesta's are a good choice as well as cars that aren't exactly bought a lot in younger drivers. e.g. I have a 07 Fiat Grande Punto which I spent 2.7k on (I overpaid A LOT) and £750 for my first year (fully com'd + only £150 voluntary excess).

My best advice is check autotrader for cars you'd buy and get an insurance quote on them via comparethemarket or confused

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.