Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have sciatica and it's been 7 months, and while the pain is less intense it still infringes on my life a lot. I can't stand or sit properly for long, but I have pt to stretched my core and muscles but at 22 and a uni student taking time of uni isn't ideal. I feel stuck since I either continue making slow progress or have surgery which can result in multiple surgeries after. I'm quite depressed and feel really lonely right now. I know it's not possible but I wish someone would just tell me what to do and how long it would definitely take me to get better...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have sciatica and it's been 7 months, and while the pain is less intense it still infringes on my life a lot. I can't stand or sit properly for long, but I have pt to stretched my core and muscles but at 22 and a uni student taking time of uni isn't ideal. I feel stuck since I either continue making slow progress or have surgery which can result in multiple surgeries after. I'm quite depressed and feel really lonely right now. I know it's not possible but I wish someone would just tell me what to do and how long it would definitely take me to get better...
    Hey, sorry this has been going on so long- being in this amount of pain isn't nice have your GP/consultant given you anything to help at all? It's unlikely to solve it but if it makes you a bit more comfortable that has to be a good thing. They might be able to recommend a type of chair or similar that hurts you less too. I can't really comment on the surgery thing except to ask what they'd do if it was them maybe, but I would say try and tell your GP how you're feeling aside from that. It's very common to struggle mentally with long term physical problems- I do a lot too if that helps- and they need to know how much it's affecting you. That might change what treatment they'd recommend or they might be able to help you in another way, you don't know until you try but I really would talk to them if you can. You can always just print out this post and show them if you're stuck on what to say! In the mean time there's plenty of people on here to talk to and around the place online, there might be facebook groups etc dedicated to young people with sciatica too if you look. Hope you feel a bit better soon whatever you decide

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.