Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in a college full of clever people, and we've recently got our mocks back. I was so certain to doing well in chemistry so I was hoping for at least a B or even an A. I also study biology, english literature and spanish. Spanish was catastrophic...I got a D, and for biology I got a C. English is the only subject I seem to be doing fine in, but it's not a field I'd go into in the future. I want to study Medicine, but I constantly feel so stupid because people around me are already achieving As and Bs in the mocks, I was so confident in that chemistry exam and when I was looking through it it was just minor mistakes. I feel like I will never get into medicine because of my grades and I feel like I'm less academically able than everyone else, I hate that feeling so much. I feel like some people have it easy whilst I have to work a lot harder than them even though I haven't been working as hard as I should have in the christmas holidays... I don't know.. Is it normal to feel like this? Are there students who have experienced this and performed extremely well in their final exams? The thing is I'm on top with all my work and I understand everything so far (expect spanish haha) but I just don't understand how I'm not getting the higher grades like everyone else...sometimes I feel like it's just me who's stupid.

(Original post by geniequeen48)
      So I'm in a college full of clever people, and we've recently got our mocks back. I was so certain to doing well in chemistry so I was hoping for at least a B or even an A. I also study biology, english literature and spanish. Spanish was catastrophic...I got a D, and for biology I got a C. English is the only subject I seem to be doing fine in, but it's not a field I'd go into in the future. I want to study Medicine, but I constantly feel so stupid because people around me are already achieving As and Bs in the mocks, I was so confident in that chemistry exam and when I was looking through it it was just minor mistakes. I feel like I will never get into medicine because of my grades and I feel like I'm less academically able than everyone else, I hate that feeling so much. I feel like some people have it easy whilst I have to work a lot harder than them even though I haven't been working as hard as I should have in the christmas holidays... I don't know.. Is it normal to feel like this? Are there students who have experienced this and performed extremely well in their final exams? The thing is I'm on top with all my work and I understand everything so far (expect spanish haha) but I just don't understand how I'm not getting the higher grades like everyone else...sometimes I feel like it's just me who's stupid.
      Its just part of you as a whole. Training and teaching will take you so far, but you need the right mindset to not only learn the material, but to apply such knowledge in practical situations to solve problems. Some people are spectacularly good at this, such as Stephen Hawking, Isaac Newton or Albert Trotter. Most people are not gifted like this.

On the other extreme there is what YOU refer to as stupid. You are not stupid if you are getting C+ in things. This makes you average. To be average you have to not be bright, but not a complete spanner either.

I am a middle ground between average and that spanner. I am a forklift driver so I wont be doling out doses to anyone in a hurry, but if you need something heavy moved, I can help. Matter over mind, you just need to make use of what you have and make a living from it. No point being disappointed by not being "as good" as you hoped you would be. You will be miserable forever if you think like that. Accept what you are and work with what you got. Its not a cliche for f'k all you know.

ReputationRep:
      Yasssss. Omg i remeber feeling like this.im in year 13 btw. Pardon my spelling errors. Yup i already have 2 interviews for med. But my mocks were horrific. I didny think i would even apply for med. But i go to a grammar school and most teachers think external students are dumb basically. But in my mocks i got BCCD. Yup i felt dumb. But as time went by things started to click. Like it took me longer than other people to get a hang of exam style and technique. I had exams where i felt confident in but flopped because of silly errors or just nad exam techique. My advice is passstttt ppppaaappeerrss. With exam technique i now dont stuggle qith a2 work wixh is harder. In my mocks i got A*AA and with a weeks revision. I dont recommend this but just practise makes perfect. The fact u wnat. To do med suggests to me with hard work and the right revision methods you will be fine. Dont stress. Mocks are for u to learn

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Josyb)
      Yasssss. Omg i remeber feeling like this.im in year 13 btw. Pardon my spelling errors. Yup i already have 2 interviews for med. But my mocks were horrific. I didny think i would even apply for med. But i go to a grammar school and most teachers think external students are dumb basically. But in my mocks i got BCCD. Yup i felt dumb. But as time went by things started to click. Like it took me longer than other people to get a hang of exam style and technique. I had exams where i felt confident in but flopped because of silly errors or just nad exam techique. My advice is passstttt ppppaaappeerrss. With exam technique i now dont stuggle qith a2 work wixh is harder. In my mocks i got A*AA and with a weeks revision. I dont recommend this but just practise makes perfect. The fact u wnat. To do med suggests to me with hard work and the right revision methods you will be fine. Dont stress. Mocks are for u to learn
      What subjects did you achieve those mocks grades in? What did you drop at A2?

ReputationRep:
      Don't see yourself as stupid simply based on grades! There is so much more to "intelligence" than academics: emotional intelligence, social intelligence, and many other subcategories...

How you see yourself starts with, guess whom, YOURSELF! And everyone gets a bad grade from time to time, we're all human beings after all!

"College full of clever people" - count yourself amongst them, as truly clever people always strive to improve themselves and learn from their mistakes, which you obviously do!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MajorFader)
      What subjects did you achieve those mocks grades in? What did you drop at A2?
      I did bio B chem C physics D and psychology C at as Mocks
      A2 bio A chem A* psychology. A

ReputationRep:
      Your are not "stupid". As a previous poster has mentioned, getting a C grade- you are average. Which may mean you need to realise that medicine is possibly out of reach for you- if you can truly tell yourself you are trying as hard as you possibly can then you are doing your best.

What are your motives for wanting to study medicine? If its to "help" and look after sick people- would you consider nursing? Sure Nurses are not as paid as well- but that should be far from your motivation from wanting to do it anyway.

If you perhaps struggle with exams and do want to consider nursing- look into doing an Access course rather than continuing your A Levels. Im not suggesting you drop out- just look at what options are available to you. Im assuming you are only 16/17 so you are still very young and have plenty of time to make decisions.

It is a HARD job. My friend works as a Nurse and worked a 15 hour shift the other day and its by far from the first time in the 18 months she has been qualified. So if its a money motivation- think how much you will really be earning when your working 60 or 70 hours a week.

Stop putting so much pressure on yourself- the number of people I know who have either gone to university and then dropped out or hated their job and gone back to do something else is higher than you would think. Said friend I mentioned above is currently saving to go back and train to do something else and all she has wanted to be in the 10+ years I have known her is a nurse.

It is YOUR life and only you can choose what you want to do with it. Just because you don't go to university at 18 like your friends doesn't mean you ever will.

I dropped out of college at 17, was unemployed for a few years due to personal issues at home and then went to do some voluntary work and in two jobs I enjoy and saving to start my own business which while it wont happen for a few years- I realise at 25 it is very possible I still have 60+ years left on earth so theres plenty of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Josyb)
      Ahh thank you so much!! That is so inspirational to hear, and well done!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by geniequeen48)
      Ahh thank you so much!! That is so inspirational to hear, and well done!!
      Its cool just remember not to put barriers on yourself. Just set goals and smash them. Dont listen to anyone who has negative things to say

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.