Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    at college i will be studying biology, chemistry, physics, and psychology. i will do either physics or psychology only to as. i want to avoid physics full a level as far as possible.
    if i choose psychology at a level, is it seen as a soft subject to oxbridge and russel group unis?
    would triple science be preferred to biology chemistry and psychology? for medicine there is little to no information on the preferred third subject :/
    does anyone have any links to any useful websites?

ReputationRep:
    Russell Group is unimportant for medicine. Cambridge do generally want 3 sciences, but Oxford are ok with only 2, I think. Pick whichever of Physics or Psychology you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A in.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe do maths if possible, psychology wont gain you anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgaelliott)
    Maybe do maths if possible, psychology wont gain you anything
    What does maths give you?

ReputationRep:
    Afaik, psychology is a facilitating subject. Go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    What does maths give you?
    Maths is one of the best-regarded A-Levels anyone can have regardless of subject they are applying to. I'm sure it can also be helpful employment wise later.

For the record, I also studied psychology AS and found it really easy. Universities are aware of how easy it is and to take that into account, for your 4th AS it doesnt matter too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgaelliott)
    Maths is one of the best-regarded A-Levels anyone can have regardless of subject they are applying to. I'm sure it can also be helpful employment wise later.
    Okay, but since when do medical schools give out interviews or offers based on how "well regarded" an A level is?

Also, once you're in your final year of medical school and applying for jobs, no one is going to ask or care about your A levels (lol).

For the record, I also studied psychology AS and found it really easy. Universities are aware of how easy it is and to take that into account, for your 4th AS it doesnt matter too much
    I'll have to bear that in mind for when I'm picking my AS levels, thanks

ReputationRep:
    I took bio chem psychics and psychology. Dropped physics cuz who needs that added stress of 3 hard sciences on top of the stress that is med and a levels. Im sure you are bright and would cope with whichever. But having a soft subject is nice i have found. I have more time than other people to prepare for my med interviews. Im generally less stressed. But it depends on you. You might find psychology harder than psychics. Pick what you like. But as for med school's. I got an interview for med in Oxford ucl and leeds with my subjects soo👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josyb)
    I took bio chem psychics and psychology. Dropped physics cuz who needs that added stress of 3 hard sciences on top of the stress that is med and a levels. Im sure you are bright and would cope with whichever. But having a soft subject is nice i have found. I have more time than other people to prepare for my med interviews. Im generally less stressed. But it depends on you. You might find psychology harder than psychics. Pick what you like. But as for med school's. I got an interview for med in Oxford ucl and leeds with my subjects soo👍
    Thanks! That's really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abi12321)
    at college i will be studying biology, chemistry, physics, and psychology. i will do either physics or psychology only to as. i want to avoid physics full a level as far as possible.
    if i choose psychology at a level, is it seen as a soft subject to oxbridge and russel group unis?
    would triple science be preferred to biology chemistry and psychology? for medicine there is little to no information on the preferred third subject :/
    does anyone have any links to any useful websites?
    Hi there!

You might find it useful to look at our pages on:

- What A-Levels do you need to be a doctor? (this has some information on the preferred third subject of different universities!)
    - How to Choose your A-Levels for Medicine

Hope this helps!
    The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.