Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12, I want to law at UCL or history also at UCL, for GCSEs I got all A*-As and for a levels I'm taking history, sociology and politics, but will unis look down on me as my a levels are soft EVEN IF I get the required grades will they not accept me due to my a levels?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nope their fine. The only remotely soft one is sociology and since you're not trying to do a hard science at oxbridge its fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    I'm currently in year 12, I want to law at UCL or history also at UCL, for GCSEs I got all A*-As and for a levels I'm taking history, sociology and politics, but will unis look down on me as my a levels are soft EVEN IF I get the required grades will they not accept me due to my a levels?
    I had the exact situation when picking my Alevels and I used to post threads about it too! xD

If you want to do Law at UCL, you have got all you need. Seriously, maybe English Lit would have been nice in there, but Politics is a respected subject and so is History. Sociology teaches you sooo much about society through crime and deviance and religious points of view as well as through Social Policy. The evaluative techniques you gain from it are amazing (although I personally hate doing the subject in itself!) and it's a very demanding subject.

You're well equipt for writing a perfect personal statement with those a-levels and they will consider you if you get your required grades 100%. They're definitely not soft subjects overall. Aim high, get amazing predicted grades this year and you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael_Fishy)
    Nope their fine. The only remotely soft one is sociology and since you're not trying to do a hard science at oxbridge its fine
    Yep I understand, thank you

ReputationRep:
    For Law there are usually no specified subjects - for many Unis you could be doing three sciences and it would be okay - what they do want is mega high grades.

The 3 subjects you are doing are solid, sensible, academic subjects. They are not 'soft', and all 3 are very relevant to Law and will be well regarded.

Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/
    Leicester : http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate
    Liverpool : https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/law/study/undergraduate/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)
    I had the exact situation when picking my Alevels and I used to post threads about it too! xD

If you want to do Law at UCL, you have got all you need. Seriously, maybe English Lit would have been nice in there, but Politics is a respected subject and so is History. Sociology teaches you sooo much about society through crime and deviance and religious points of view as well as through Social Policy. The evaluative techniques you gain from it are amazing (although I personally hate doing the subject in itself!) and it's a very demanding subject.

You're well equipt for writing a perfect personal statement with those a-levels and they will consider you if you get your required grades 100%. They're definitely not soft subjects overall. Aim high, get amazing predicted grades this year and you'll be fine!
    What subjects did you end up doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenniesRabbit)

Yeah I felt so stupid for not picking english lit as I got an A* but I thought I wouldnt like the topic they were doing and my option blocks did not work, at my school we have blocks to pick subjects from. Thank you very much for your advice I appricate it

ReputationRep:
    None are soft - maybe sociology a little but none will be looked down upon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    For Law there are usually no specified subjects - for many Unis you could be doing three sciences and it would be okay - what they do want is mega high grades.

The 3 subjects you are doing are solid, sensible, academic subjects. They are not 'soft', and all 3 are very relevant to Law and will be well regarded.

Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/
    Leicester : http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/law/undergraduate
    Liverpool : https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/law/study/undergraduate/
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolaah)
    None are soft - maybe sociology a little but none will be looked down upon
    I see, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine and shouldn't be held back too much. If possible and I know you said it wouldn't fit into your blocks I would recommend English Lit or even economics if your school offers it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmcbroom710)
    You should be fine and shouldn't be held back too much. If possible and I know you said it wouldn't fit into your blocks I would recommend English Lit or even economics if your school offers it
    I dropped economics for sociology (the only way the blocks worked) because our teacher could not teach and I tried hard to self teach but it took up too much of my time and my other subjects like history began to suffer so I thought I would rather get a better grade in an 'easier' subject like sociology than a lower grade in a subject like economics, right, or was I wrong for doing so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    I dropped economics for sociology (the only way the blocks worked) because our teacher could not teach and I tried hard to self teach but it took up too much of my time and my other subjects like history began to suffer so I thought I would rather get a better grade in an 'easier' subject like sociology than a lower grade in a subject like economics, right, or was I wrong for doing so?
    Although sociology may be seen as softer you you were confident you would achieve a good grade in economics I would say it was probably right. From doing economics one thing that shocked me to be honest is how little revising notes etc compare to writing technique so if you did do it, your other subjects would probably help a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmcbroom710)
    Although sociology may be seen as softer you you were confident you would achieve a good grade in economics I would say it was probably right. From doing economics one thing that shocked me to be honest is how little revising notes etc compare to writing technique so if you did do it, your other subjects would probably help a lot.
    Yes I see, but without a sufficent teacher it was impossible as I really did try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MajorFader)
    What subjects did you end up doing?
    I ended up doing English Literature, Psychology and Sociology which has gotten me all 5 university offers despite being told that Sociology may be 'soft'

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.