Organic chemistry- drawing optical isomers with aldehyde ketones.

Watch
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I've just been doing an organic question about optical isomers however I've never drawn optical isomers of aldehydes and ketones before. Please could someone explain how to go about doing this (choosing the 4 groups and the chiral centre) as I can't understand the logic of what they've done from the markscheme.

Thanks
Attached files
MexicanKeith
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hi,

I've just been doing an organic question about optical isomers however I've never drawn optical isomers of aldehydes and ketones before. Please could someone explain how to go about doing this (choosing the 4 groups and the chiral centre) as I can't understand the logic of what they've done from the markscheme.

Thanks
One important point is that the carbonyl carbon only has 3 things attached, so it cannot be the stereogenic (chiral) centre. That means one of the other carbons in the chain must be the centre, with 4 different groups. all you have to do is make sure you branch the carbon chain so that each bond from the chiral carbon has a different group attached.

In this case each of those groups will be
-H
-CH3
-CH2CH3
....etc.

-CH=O (aldehyde)
-COR (R is just an alkyl chain) (ketone)

so the carbonyl makes no real difference to the drawing for the chiral centre, because it never is the chiral centre if that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (26)
27.08%
No (70)
72.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed