Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got 11A* at GCSE, and for a few years now I've been hell-bent on getting into one of the very top universities, but I've now realised that both the process of getting the grades/doing well at interview and actually studying there would be too stressful (I've had serious problems with overworking in the past).

My subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French (already done AS, doing A2 this year), Spanish and Welsh Baccalaureate (I want to drop one of these for A2, though not Welsh Bacc as it's compulsory :/ ) I previously wanted to study maths, but I've since realised that it's not really what I want to do. I then wanted to do linguistics (which is a subject I really love), but I'm hesitant because the career prospects aren't that good, so I'd feel as if I'd be wasting my time (which is something I'm concerned about a lot). If I did linguistics, I'd be doing it with a view to then doing a master's degree in Computational Linguistics (Computer Science with Speech and Information Processing at Sheffield, or something similar). But then what will the point of my degree have been? Wouldn't it be better to do computer science?

I'm also very good at languages, and get very high marks in my essays. The only thing about this is that I'm not a fan of literature, so I probably wouldn't want to be doing a straight Modern Languages degree, but might combine one with linguistics - if I did this, I'd either do French and Linguistics or Japanese and Linguistics. So my options are:

Linguistics
    French and Linguistics/Japanese and Linguistics
    Computer Science?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyoctopus)
    I got 11A* at GCSE, and for a few years now I've been hell-bent on getting into one of the very top universities, but I've now realised that both the process of getting the grades/doing well at interview and actually studying there would be too stressful (I've had serious problems with overworking in the past).

My subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, French (already done AS, doing A2 this year), Spanish and Welsh Baccalaureate (I want to drop one of these for A2, though not Welsh Bacc as it's compulsory :/ ) I previously wanted to study maths, but I've since realised that it's not really what I want to do. I then wanted to do linguistics (which is a subject I really love), but I'm hesitant because the career prospects aren't that good, so I'd feel as if I'd be wasting my time (which is something I'm concerned about a lot). If I did linguistics, I'd be doing it with a view to then doing a master's degree in Computational Linguistics (Computer Science with Speech and Information Processing at Sheffield, or something similar). But then what will the point of my degree have been? Wouldn't it be better to do computer science?

I'm also very good at languages, and get very high marks in my essays. The only thing about this is that I'm not a fan of literature, so I probably wouldn't want to be doing a straight Modern Languages degree, but might combine one with linguistics - if I did this, I'd either do French and Linguistics or Japanese and Linguistics. So my options are:

Linguistics
    Computer Science?
    Do you have any careers in mind?

Do not do a subject just because you think the career prospects are better. The vast majority of graduate jobs do not require a specific degree. It is a waste of time trying to anticipate what you might do for a master's degree. You might decide you hate research and be glad to see the back of uni in three year's time. Make decisions based on your current interests.

If you enjoy languages then yes, taking one at university is a good idea. You will have to research the course structure of combined degrees carefully to make sure you pick one that does not involve literature. If you want to avoid lit entirely then you may be better off doing a linguistics with language degree (with as opposed to and, usually signifies a 75%/25% subject split instead of 50%/50%).

ReputationRep:
    Consider Computer Science but with a year studying abroad? Find a uni that offers extra modules in languages?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Computer science is genuinely really fun:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armyoctopus)

Linguistics
    Computer Science?

Hi,

I’m a first year at the University of Derby. If you’re struggling to decide, then I’d say go for a joint honours course. You’ll get to pursue both options and then can either consider carrying on with both for your whole degree or drop one and pursue the one you decide is best for you.

Joint honours are great for this, my sister did a joint honours in Geology and Environmental Hazards (also at Derby) and then dropped environmental hazards for her second year. Will allow you to see what each subject is like at uni before you decide to take one or the other (not that you have to decide).

Hope this helps and let me now if you have any other questions about uni!

Molly

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.