Turn on thread page Beta

Law Training Contract Application Question- Help watch

ReputationRep:
    The questions asks us about my activities and interests outside of university.

In this experience, I volunteered with an educational charity. Other volunteer university students and I were divided into subgroups; each university student responsible for about 5 young students. We carried out a campus tour and then we assisted with delivering the charity's workshop alongside their member staff. I have written the following:

"I have raised aspirations for higher education by leading a campus tour of the X university to 12- 13-year-old students and delivering a career workshop to address challenges students face."

I am under a word limit and have tried to capture it using active words. I don't want don't want to sound passive by using the word "assisted" with and at the same time don't want to come across as misleading.

Thoughts? I hope I am not thinking into this too deeply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lagoonnine)
    The questions asks us about my activities and interests outside of university.

In this experience, I volunteered with an educational charity. Other volunteer university students and I were divided into subgroups; each university student responsible for about 5 young students. We carried out a campus tour and then we assisted with delivering the charity's workshop alongside their member staff. I have written the following:

"I have raised aspirations for higher education by leading a campus tour of the X university to 12- 13-year-old students and delivering a career workshop to address challenges students face."

I am under a word limit and have tried to capture it using active words. I don't want don't want to sound passive by using the word "assisted" with and at the same time don't want to come across as misleading.

Thoughts? I hope I am not thinking into this too deeply!
    You're really underselling yourself with your description of this...I'm not going to rewrite it for you, but even just comparing the words you've used to describe it to us, against the one sentence you're giving the firm, there's so much more you could say. You need to think about what kind of skills you're trying to demonstrate using this experience instead of just plonking in a one sentence 'I did this once', it's not very effective at all. I also don't think 'I have raised aspirations for higher education' makes any sense at all, if you mean you helped encourage younger students to pursue higher education and took part in a scheme to help demonstrate how it's more accessible to them now/some kind of social outreach scheme then that's what you should say

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.