Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I confront my friend...who is also my supervisor? Watch

I'm in a really tricky situation here and could use some advice/opinions.

A friend of about 6 years set me up with a bar job at their pub to help me earn some cash at a bar they're a supervisor at. We have a long history together, even dated at on and off a few years back. Now we remained good friends & I was grateful for their help in finding me work.

So about 2 months into this job, i start to notice my hours are shorter than the ones I actually worked on my payslip. So I start documenting the hours each week myself and comparing it.

After 2 weeks of losing hours and keeping notes, I confronted the manager who went through all my timesheets with me. I noticed a significant difference, so they made corrections. However, I also noticed that these only happened on my friends shifts, specifically on shifts they asked me to work after my scheduled finish time - yet I'd only been paid until my finish time. Despite working late with other supervisors on other shifts, I only got clocked out incorrectly on the shifts with my friend. I didn't say anything to the manager, apart from question why the error occurred, they had no explanation and just offered to pay me the time which I accepted.

I'm feeling very confused on where to go with this now. Obviously I'm happy to drop this if it doesn't occur again, but i'm disappointed and confused at why someone I've known for so many years would tamper with my pay like this, or be so careful to not bother to ensure I was being paid correctly whilst I was working.

What would you do in this situation, confront the person...or leave it to management to sort out amongst themselves?

ReputationRep:
    Not much of a friend if she's doing this on purpose. If it's by accident, it needs bringing to attention. If the management are going to have a word with her then let them get on with it, though if it still keeps happening I'd pull her up on it.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt your place to discuss it with her- you have reported it to management so let them deal with it. What effect it has on your friendship obviously remains to be seen but he/she doesn't seem as rosy as you thought. Honestly it would make me question their integrity and whether or not they are someone I wanted in my life

It is a tough one but unfortunately it happens and you can only learn from it- this is why I wouldn't work for friends or family.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Confront your friend only when she's not your supervisor (you might need a reference from the job).

Get yourself transferred to another supervisor who won't rip you off.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a possibility that the problem is not a result of your friend? Or an innocent mistake? If so I'd mention to her or the higher up boss that it keeps happening, not in an accusatory way but in a 'can-we-find-a-solution' way so you ensure it doesn't happen again and just see how it's handled.

If you're convinced your friend is doing it maliciously then you don't have much to gain by confronting them and I'd leave it but make a mental note nto to trust the friend.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if it is maliciously, but it's becoming a big issue and its a mistake that needs to be addressed.

I was underpaid for entire shift this week, which they asked me to come in and cover on my day off. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to tamper with timesheets and remove an entire days work off the system - but even if it is an error, it's an error which now means I owed over 60 pounds.

Its a tough position tbh, obviously I don't want to but my friend in the spotlight is this a genuine human error - but its not getting to a point I'm going to have to push my bills back a week whilst I chase down this money.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.