The Student Room Group

Student loan re-application

I am going into my second year of university and soon I need to re-apply for my student loan, however, I am no longer able to live at my parents house so I am moving into an apartment with my boyfriend for the second year. My student loan is the lowest because of my parent's joint income but as I will no longer be under their household will my student loan give me more money for my second year to cover the rent on my new home? I am worried that I will be broke and I can't find any information on if they would change my loan depending on where I live.
Reply 1
Original post by littlemilly
I am going into my second year of university and soon I need to re-apply for my student loan, however, I am no longer able to live at my parents house so I am moving into an apartment with my boyfriend for the second year. My student loan is the lowest because of my parent's joint income but as I will no longer be under their household will my student loan give me more money for my second year to cover the rent on my new home? I am worried that I will be broke and I can't find any information on if they would change my loan depending on where I live.

You will get slightly more if you live away from your family home, but not very much - maybe a few hundred a year. The SF calculator will give you an idea of how much difference it will make to you:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Your SF entitlement does not take any other account of your outgoings, so it probably won't pay for what you're planning. Your boyfriend may find that he needs to pay more than half the rent and bills to make your plan feasible. Usually people with SF are renting a single room in a shared student house.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending