Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslim and Sikh Relationship advice? Watch

I've been going through a difficult time I'm a muslim girl and my boyfriend is a sikh. I know this is wrong religiously and my family would never tolerate it. I fear they would be so disappointed they would disown me. I love my boyfriend and I know I should break up with him but the thought of not being with him gives me anxiety. I'm currently studying medicine and whenever i think about breaking up with i struggle to focus on my studies.

On the other side of this story my friend tried to set me up with a muslim guy who is perfect, he is everything i could ask for and is interested in me. I know i should leave my boyfriend as we can never be together, my family mean too much to me for me to lose them.

How do i go about ending things and coping with this throughout uni? Do you think ending things is the right thing to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If your family would disown you for this, then they don't love you. If you love your boyfriend, then don't leave him. Your family should not decide who you date and who you shouldn't, that is some seriously regressive stuff. Take some control in your life stand up for what you know is right. Silly religious beliefs should not get in the way of your happiness and they should understand that. If not, you should not care what they think

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.