The Student Room Group

Have I just proven the existence of an afterlife?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
I'm gonna try my best to explain this but I can't guarantee....

Basically we are all aware that we are alive. We have thoughts and memories and plans. We have no memories of before we are born (or early years).

So if we can think like this there must be an afterlife. This is because we will be dead/non-existent for far, far longer than we will have been alive. Yet we still have consciousness now. If I died tomorrow my whole being could be wiped out, except it's not because I'm thinking right now - if I was dead tomorrow I would have no memory of typing or thinking this. There would be no consciousness because it would cease as soon as we die. The only way this can be explained is if there is an afterlife - we can think back on our life and reflect on everything we remember.

I'm not sure about an afterlife but I agree with your reasoning there's certainly something weird going on even if there isn't an afterlife .
I always freak out because I get Deja vu and feel like I'm in a loophole .
Hear me out
I always get these memories and they seem so distant yet it feels as though it happened just yesterday and I feel frustrated at myself for not recalling these memories. Thing is these memories - I have never experienced anything like it. Is this evidence for a past life ?
sorry if I didn't explain well.
Basically we are all aware that we are alive. We have thoughts and memories and plans. We have no memories of before we are born (or early years). True.

So if we can think like this there must be an afterlife. This is because we will be dead/non-existent for far, far longer than we will have been alive. So what? Yet we still have consciousness now. A non sequitur, if ever I saw one. If I died tomorrow my whole being could be wiped out, except it's not because I'm thinking right now What you are doing now is not relevant to whether you will be dead tomorrow. - if I was dead tomorrow I would have no memory of typing or thinking this. True. There would be no consciousness because it would cease as soon as we die. Again, true. The only way this can be explained (why does it need explaining? It just is) is if there is an afterlife - we can think back on our life and reflect on everything we remember. This is pure wishful thinking and has no basis in logic, reality, the previous things you said or truth.

My comments are inserted into the quote. Keep off the whacky baccy.
No, no you have not.
I'm gonna try my best to explain this but I can't guarantee....

Basically we are all aware that we are alive. We have thoughts and memories and plans. We have no memories of before we are born (or early years).

So if we can think like this there must be an afterlife. This is because we will be dead/non-existent for far, far longer than we will have been alive. Yet we still have consciousness now. If I died tomorrow my whole being could be wiped out, except it's not because I'm thinking right now - if I was dead tomorrow I would have no memory of typing or thinking this. There would be no consciousness because it would cease as soon as we die. The only way this can be explained is if there is an afterlife - we can think back on our life and reflect on everything we remember.

I have been debating this point for a fair few years, and it's oddly surprising to see somebody with the same kind of idea, but unfortunately I do not agree with this observing thing. I have thought about the fact that, every thought you have is technically a memory, of what you just thought, and how therefor, your life would over, before it could start, atleast that's what I think. You seem to be confused with how the mind works, you imagine that conscience can be achieved without a brain, which is a common misconception between religious people, and is frankly wrong. Instead of an afterlife, I think your trying to explain that, your brain, before it shuts down, sends you back through your memories, or something along the lines of that, where you can observe your memories forever, yet no time has passed, as your brain does this all, before it goes, hope this helped!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest