Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sikh and Muslim relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. We're all humans. All of us laugh, cry, wake up sleep are born and die.

Life is already hard why make it harder by imposing so many restrictions. We can distinguish between what is right or wrong by using our brains, we don't need a book to decide. Religion should be about spirituality not about rules.

IMO humanity and Love are greater than religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As another user mentioned, it's best breaking up now because it will be easier.

In the long run this relationship won't be good for your faith or your family. Faith wise, you cannot ever marry him (it won't be valid islamically) and your life will basically be full of zina. Although your parents may not be practicing, they do seem to realise that some sins are far bigger than others and that's probably why they've warned you about this in the past.

You mention that you don't know whether you could love the muslim guy as much as him. And you don't but it's not like he's the only Muslim guy on the planet. You'll like some, you won't like others. Also you aren't exactly guaranteed to be with the Sikh guy in future. You don't know where you will be in 5 years time.

ReputationRep:
    If you're that bothered about them, why date him in the first place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long have you known this Sikh guy?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever, keep letting others dictate your happiness I mean it's not like it's you that has to live your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casisalive)
    Whatever, keep letting others dictate your happiness I mean it's not like it's you that has to live your life.
    Great post. I get that you want your family's approval but I find the whole thing quite sad to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you get into a relationship with him if you knew it wouldn't work long term ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you really loved someone you would pick them over family, and take it from there. you ar your own person so need to do what you think is best. again though it can backfire but better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all right XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    if you really loved someone you would pick them over family, and take it from there. you ar your own person so need to do what you think is best. again though it can backfire but better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all right XD
    Your right.
    You only get one life
    One time
    and
    can only truly fall in love once

ReputationRep:
    Hard situation but even if you left but you truly love him it's only gonna bring you two back together. Theres no point trying to be with someone else when you yourself know you won't be happy. I think you should stay with him and when your family do find out they need to realise how much love you two have between you and hopefully they won't have a problem. But even if they do and you leave him, you'll never be truly happy so don't do that. You may lose your family for a period of time but family is family they will realise one day that love is love and I'm sure they want to see you happy and they'll understand he is what makes you happy
    Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just... Continue dating? is it really that big of an issue?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they would completely disown you or could they come to accept it after a while? If they are able to live with it, even if they don't approve then I would say stay with him. That is if you could see yourself being with him/ marrying him. If you're unsure how long your relationship will last and how stable it is then maybe break it off and try and move on with the other guy. I hope it works out this must be so tough x

ReputationRep:
    I'm a practising Muslim btw

Anyway, I think you need to analyse what's important to you right now. Is it your faith and abiding by it? Or are you not that practising and want to choose your love? I mean this in a completely non-judgemental way, by the way. I think of you no less whether you're a devout Muslim or an ex-Muslim! Do what you want because, at the end of the day, being a fake devout anything is just a waste of life.

I'm assuming your parents aren't violent or anything - obviously you know your situation best!

Also, it's kinda unfair to involve someone else when you're currently in love with your boyfriend. Obviously this isn't a game. It's getting messy, so I wouldn't go jumping into a relationship with anyone else if you decide to end this one - whether he's perfect on paper or not. You won't give anyone your all if you're in love with someone else.

EDIT: Also, to some saying "pick your boyfriend over your family" I don't think people who truly love you will make you pick one or the other. If your parents truly care for you, they may have different beliefs, but it'd be nonsensical to pick a person you've just met over parents who have raised you (again assuming they are loving, supporting etc.). As someone who has lost best friends and parents (bereavements and otherwise), you don't cut people out of your life unless they're harmful. This isn't some romcom where we cut other people out because they criticise you lol. If you were to go through the worst day of your life tomorrow, you'd want your family AND your boyfriend around.

Anyway, ye, don't do anything rash! But hope you're happy and do what's best for your situation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.