Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering what people's experiences of AS level Biology were like - I'm pretty interested in Science subjects and definitely going be taking Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Not sure wheter or not to do Biology instead of Further Maths though - wouldn't mind heading for a Chemistry degree or the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge if I can though...so, yeah - how did people find Biology in terms of enjoyment and difficulty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by distortedgav)
    Hi, I was just wondering what people's experiences of AS level Biology were like - I'm pretty interested in Science subjects and definitely going be taking Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Not sure wheter or not to do Biology instead of Further Maths though - wouldn't mind heading for a Chemistry degree or the Natural Sciences course at Cambridge if I can though...so, yeah - how did people find Biology in terms of enjoyment and difficulty?
    Biology for me..great fun, really interesting..and not too hard really. However..it depends...you may be different...i find biology easy cos i can absorb facts quite easily...and biology AS and A2 is mainly about learning facts..and lots of them

If you want to do Natsci..then i'm pretty sure biology is, if not essential..then highly recommended.

G

ReputationRep:
    i'd go for biology. chemistry and physics are very different at alevel to what they were at gcse (not just my experience but plenty of other people's). biology, like the others is in a lot more depth, but gets so much more interesting. if you take further maths you'd be limiting yourself purely to the physical sciences, whereas you might end up realising your stronger at the biological. keep your options open. you can always take up a further Maths AS in yr 13- if you're dead set on NatSci then Further Maths, although useful, isn't an essential requirement, as long as you prove good enough at the sciences and regualr maths

ReputationRep:
    I loved Biology - it wasn't particularly difficult. There's quite a lot to learn in AS but then again compared to A2 it really isn't a lot! As long as you're doing the reading required and learning the content being taught in class it should be pretty straightforward. Also like Priya said Biology is so much more in depth at AS level but it's very enjoyable - add to that I agree with Priya - if you don't like Biology, you can drop it at A2 and take up AS Furthur Maths In my opionion that would be the better option, I can't understand why you lot would want to do furthur maths when you're doing maths already - unless of course you absolutely love maths, can't live without it...!

ReputationRep:
    bascially, just take it! it's great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    bascially, just take it! it's great!
    No pressure though

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    No pressure though

G
    i never pile the pressure on

if you are still realy undecided, it might be worth discussing with your subject staff (if you are continuing at the same school for 6th form) what they think you'd be best at- they can usually gauge (sp?) from your ability at gcse what you'd be like at alevel. no guarantees obviously.

ReputationRep:
    lol - thanks guys - just been having a think about what you've all said - and compared it to doing further maths.....and....well....biology would be much more fun...lol - I don't think 2 option blocks of maths at 4.5 hrs a week each would be particularly interesting. Plus it seems that some parts of biology are quite chemical and I love chemistry .... - And if in the end I did want to do a Maths degree, no-where I know insists on further maths, even if they do like it....lol - plus a Science-based degree looks more fun.....so...yeah I think it's going to be biology - I think I'll make final decisions on results day though I got A*A* in my Science mock - and my biology teacher said that I'd be good at biology. The astronomy teacher (whose officially a biologist but shhh lol) also reckons that I'd enjoy it ... so, yeah I think I'm gonna give it a go

ReputationRep:
    Well most universities do not count maths and further maths as 2 subjects- you can only submit one of them- so if you did Chem, Phys, Maths and Further maths taht would usually be counted as 3 AS.
    If you are interested in a Chemistry degree then AS Biology would be very useful and interesting. Biology isn't that 'hard' but it is the longest out of all the sciences so you jsut need to keep going working throughout the year (and also goes well with Chem anyway as you learn 'molecular biology' in biology which might crop on in Chem depending on your examboard/syllabus). So I would advise chem, bio, phys and maths as 4 AS if you are interested in studying chemsitry or NatSci later- it will be hard work but rewarding as it gives you wide options for later on

ReputationRep:
    lol - thanks guys - just been having a think about what you've all said - and compared it to doing further maths.....and....well....biology would be much more fun...lol - I don't think 2 option blocks of maths at 4.5 hrs a week each would be particularly interesting. Plus it seems that some parts of biology are quite chemical and I love chemistry .... - And if in the end I did want to do a Maths degree, no-where I know insists on further maths, even if they do like it....lol - plus a Science-based degree looks more fun.....so...yeah I think it's going to be biology - I think I'll make final decisions on results day though I got A*A* in my Science mock - and my biology teacher said that I'd be good at biology. The astronomy teacher (whose officially a biologist but shhh lol) also reckons that I'd enjoy it ... so, yeah I think I'm gonna give it a go

yey!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've just done AS biology. It was quite hard, much more work than my other AS levels, especially at revision time. In fact, it kind of took over. But the main reason for that is one crap teacher who was a) away half the year and b) to 'teach' us she read the textbook :rolleyes: I'm not doing A2, that's almost certain.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, Biology required a lot of learning wheras Chemistry is pretty much staightforward if you have a thorough understanding of GCSE.

BTW, I did biology, chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (going to read maths degree and didn't do physics coz our teachers are rubbish)

ReputationRep:
    I did quite well for Maths in GCSE so I thought I might do Further Maths for A level. But then I drop out coz it's takes more time to revise than other 2 subjects (but it I'm not that clever, so...), if you think maths is what you're going to do at uni, maybe it's worth it. plus half of the time table will be maths.

ReputationRep:
    personally, i found AS level chemistry a breeze compared with biology, although i don't yet have the results to prove it.
    i'm not sure what it is about biology, but its just too much stuff to remember (for someone who, i'd like to add, is good at remembering). i never felt engaged in the lessons, which in all fairness is probably not due to the subject matter, but the teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winged_hippo)
    its just too much stuff to remember (for someone who, i'd like to add, is good at remembering). i never felt engaged in the lessons, which in all fairness is probably not due to the subject matter, but the teaching.
    Exactly how i feel.

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology as level alongside 2 a levels last year and spent the whole year regretting it...especially when I found out I didn't need it for the uni I wanted lol. I found it really boring and hard to grasp. But then when I came to revise it all made sense, so I thought I might just scrape a B. But somehow I managed to get an A. So I don't think it's as hard as it seems. If you take it, I'd recommend that you make sure you understand it as you go along, rather than trying to learn it all during last minute revision lol.

ReputationRep:
    Just came out of AS Biology with an A, and going onto A2 in September.

I loved GCSE Biology and was at the top of my year, so I chose to take it. When I first started Year 12 and the Biology course, I initially had a bit of a shock because it seemed so much harder (I remember spending a whole evening after my first lesson trying to figure out the wonders of glycosidic bonds and hydrolysis...) It is a lot different from GCSE Biology and a bit of a jump up, but I soon got into it and didn't find the understanding that difficult - it's just remembering the facts that I found hard (Lord, please help me with A2!). And it is really interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Do it! Although I didn't like GCSE Biology, I picked up AS Biology a month into the Lower Sixth - purely because I really did not like Economics and because Biology fitted in more with my other subjects and was strongly recommended by my teachers. Up until then I would have laughed at the idea of doing Biology as I hated it so much.

However, my teachers were great and my classmates were great. I had an excellent time doing Biology even though the actual course was not appealing at all. Picking up Biology was one of the academic decisions I have ever made.

ReputationRep:
    I loved Biology (and like ti even more now I've got a 295 at AS ) Do it! There's lots to learn, but it's not particularly difficult, and it's fun

ReputationRep:
    Do you like biology? If you like it, go for it. My friend dropped biology on induction day and took up further maths instead cus she doesn't like biology but loves maths. If you pick further maths over biology you'd be doing exactly what she did. I'd never take maths in a million years and I took biology and have no regrets. It's a good subject and as long you as work and learn the facts it's pretty easy too. The only thing I greatly disliked was physiology and transport - granted I have no interest in plants or respiration and blood. Btw it's AQA I studied, dunno about OCR, although I do know OCR salters chem is much easier than AQA chem - or at least the papers look that way!

I got an A for biology very pleased, dunno how I managed cus I crammed the entire syllubus in a week along with past papers. I can tell you now if you do not like biology it is dull and boring and a load of useless facts. If you like biology as I do you would find it quite interesting indeed, although not fascinating, but it certainly leads you to the stage where you can learn for yourself some other fascinating biology facts. Hehe I had a biology teacher who told us strange facts all the time, like fish with no jaws or spider having green blood instead - is it green or blue? I think it's green. Quite fun. And some brain diseases she went on about and DNA clocks - it's great!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.