Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I want to do computer science as an A Level and degree. I'm currently in year 11. I was doing 10 gcses but am now doing 7 as I was away due to mental health illnesses.

I should still be on for As and A*s in all my subjects (maths included).

Firstly, when I start my A Levels in 2017 will everything be linear? So it's just exams at the end of the two years? And will colleges/schools be complying with that from September 2017? I ask this because the college of my choice (I'm currently at an IB school, switching after gcses) are still showing AS and A2 on their website.

I'll probably do maths at A Level but I'm not sure on my third subject. Is further maths a stretch considering my absence during GCSEs has caused me to slightly lose interest in maths and I've missed a couple of topics?

The way I see it I should either do maths and further maths along with computer science or I should do maths and something else with it.

If I did something else with it, would business go down well or not so well with universities? Is it a soft subject which would lead me to choosing a different subject like economics or would universities accept it?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Do further maths. Its very respected for comp sci

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JickDee)
    Do further maths. Its very respected for comp sci

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How hard is it though?

Any other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknown1209)
    How hard is it though?

Any other opinions?
    depends on how good you are at maths.
    whatever you missed at GCSE would have been so small anyway in comparison to A-level maths + further maths; you can easily catch up.
    if you really struggle with maths, then you shouldn't be doing computer science at uni.

if you really don't want to do further maths, I hear that physics or chemistry is liked as well

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at some of the entry requirements for Comp Sci at various universities, Maths is pretty much compulsory everywhere followed by Further Maths which is highly desirable. The other one/two are a bit more flexible, doing Computer Science for one shows a passion for the subject in my opinion but doing any of the 3 sciences is also a safe bet. Note that some Universities won't accept Business as well, if you are aiming for the more respected ones.

ReputationRep:
    Maths/Natural science/FM or Comp sci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JickDee)
    depends on how good you are at maths.
    whatever you missed at GCSE would have been so small anyway in comparison to A-level maths + further maths; you can easily catch up.
    if you really struggle with maths, then you shouldn't be doing computer science at uni.

if you really don't want to do further maths, I hear that physics or chemistry is liked as well
    I'm not bad at maths because I can get an A or A* at GCSE but I'd just rather not take further maths if I can avoid it.

(Original post by Revisely)
    Take a look at some of the entry requirements for Comp Sci at various universities, Maths is pretty much compulsory everywhere followed by Further Maths which is highly desirable. The other one/two are a bit more flexible, doing Computer Science for one shows a passion for the subject in my opinion but doing any of the 3 sciences is also a safe bet. Note that some Universities won't accept Business as well, if you are aiming for the more respected ones.
    Do you know if university of Birmingham accept Business?

Would it be okay to do computer science, maths and a humanity? Possibly do further maths as a first year and drop either further maths or the humanity for A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Mandarin, PE Btec, sociology and financial literature

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you want to go but just do maths and if you can, further maths. That's the only requirements you may get really.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't intend applying to Oxbridge or Imperial then Maths, Computer Science and one other will be ok. For Oxbridge and Imperial though Further Maths is essential.

Further Maths is a definite asset when applying for uni. Even when its not an entry requirement your application will be looked at more favourably....but don't do it unless you are very confident at Maths. Speak to your Maths teacher and get their advice.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Computer Science or Physics
    An arts/humanities subject to show you have good communication skills. (Technical writing is important in the IT industry)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.