Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male Contraceptive Gel is another step closer Watch

ReputationRep:
    Male contraceptive gel passes monkey test - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38879224

https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/

"VasalgelTM is a long-acting, nonhormonal contraceptive with a significant advantage over vasectomy: it is likely to be more reversible. The procedure is similar to a no-scalpel vasectomy, except a gel is injected into the vas deferens (the tube the sperm swim through), rather than cutting the vas (as is done in vasectomy). If a man wishes to restore flow of sperm, whether after months or years, the polymer is flushed out of the vas with another injection."

Hopefully within the next few years this contraceptive will become available. It'll allow men to take birth control into their own hands & provide an alternative to permanent vasectomy. Obviously it won't protect against STIs so condoms will still be necessary in some cases.

Edit - I meant to post this in the News & CA section but for some reason it ended up here.

ReputationRep:
    To this day, I still hold the opinion that the invention of birth control was one of the biggest mistakes we made. This gel is, indeed, one step closer - one step closer to a society filled with people having sex at will and not having a care in the world about the consequences of their actions. Of course, 1960 was the point of no return. Widespread contraception is necessary to fight against abortion, but it never should have come to this. Now we must invent pills to stop conception, gels to stop sperm, rubber to stop disease... and then we'll be inventing pills to stop pills stopping conception, gels to stop gels stopping sperm, pills to stop gels to stop pills to stop stopping pills from stopping gels from stopping other pills. It's insane.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    To this day, I still hold the opinion that the invention of birth control was one of the biggest mistakes we made. This gel is, indeed, one step closer - one step closer to a society filled with people having sex at will and not having a care in the world about the consequences of their actions. Of course, 1960 was the point of no return. Widespread contraception is necessary to fight against abortion, but it never should have come to this. Now we must invent pills to stop conception, gels to stop sperm, rubber to stop disease... and then we'll be inventing pills to stop pills stopping conception, gels to stop gels stopping sperm, pills to stop gels to stop pills to stop stopping pills from stopping gels from stopping other pills. It's insane.
    1960 was a beautiful year.
    Oh well, more action for us lads eh?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, how dare people use medicine to prevent something happening.

Are you also against cough sweets, antibiotics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Yeah, how dare people use medicine to prevent something happening.

Are you also against cough sweets, antibiotics?
    Nice simplistic way of looking at it. Had it ever occurred to you that contraceptive pills and condoms don't always work? When you start to spread the notion that having sex for pleasure is okay, then people start to do it, believing that having a child is an impossibility. Thus, when it inevitably happens: unwanted babies. And what do we do with unwanted babies in the 21st century? We cut them up into little pieces, crush the skull and suck the brains out for extraction.

ReputationRep:
    Nice simplistic way of looking at it. Had it ever occurred to you that contraceptive pills and condoms don't always work? When you start to spread the notion that having sex for pleasure is okay, then people start to do it, believing that having a child is an impossibility. Thus, when it inevitably happens: unwanted babies. And what do we do with unwanted babies in the 21st century? We cut them up into little pieces, crush the skull and suck the brains out for extraction.
    Would be a good point, except they all say that they're not 100% effective.

And you ignore the medical benefits that things like the pill bring. Talk to someone with PCOS and see why they're using them, then feel free to spout your 1950s diatribe.

ReputationRep:
    When you start to spread the notion that having sex for pleasure is okay
    It is okay lmfao :lol:

ReputationRep:
    No one believes child is an impossibility :roll eyes:

Are you implying sex for pleasure suddenly came about due to contraception? Or became more popular?

People have been using the pull out method as contraception many thousand and of years ago - and even today, in third world countries in poor regions where they can't afford contraception, are still having sex for pleasure and creating a population crisis where people who can't afford to feed themselves are having kids.

So really, I don't know what you're on about. Unwanted babies happened well before this pill business and I'm pretty certain it has had a positive effect of creating less unwanted babies. Most people who have unwanted babies aren't because of the small percentage chance of failure of the pill or condom, but because they weren't using either in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're more suited to the 19th century.

Maybe you're slightly jealous of all those having sex around you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    It is okay lmfao :lol:
    Oh, you used an emoji. I guess your argument is valid after all.

(Original post by mashbbk)
    No one believes child is an impossibility :roll eyes:

Are you implying sex for pleasure suddenly came about due to contraception? Or became more popular?

People have been using the pull out method as contraception many thousand and of years ago - and even today, in third world countries in poor regions where they can't afford contraception, are still having sex for pleasure and creating a population crisis where people who can't afford to feed themselves are having kids.

So really, I don't know what you're on about. Unwanted babies happened well before this pill business.
    Never at this scale. Never with the state spreading propaganda in schools.
    It's the same argument people use for immigration. "It's always happened", which is true, but not at the same scale. The pill undeniably acts as a replacement for morality. It has done ever since 1960, when the number of STDs and abortions (not to mention the '67 act) shot up.

(Original post by Tempest II)
    It sounds like you're more suited to the 19th century.

Maybe you're slightly jealous of all those having sex around you?
    1. Not an argument.
    2. Not an argument.

Care for a hat-trick?

ReputationRep:
    Finally,men can stop complaining about unwanted pregnancies and women

ReputationRep:
    So what is your point? Because from your rant it is not obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Ah you are an anti-abortion fanatic?

"Moral" or religious reasons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    So what is your point? Because from your rant it is not obvious.
    My point is that we will continue to manufacture these pills and gels in an effort to get back something that was lost a long time ago.

Ah you are an anti-abortion fanatic?

"Moral" or religious reasons?
    "Fanatic" doesn't mean anything objective. I morally object to the killing of human beings/embryos/fetuses/babies on grounds of conscience.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, you used an emoji. I guess your argument is valid after all.

Never at this scale. Never with the state spreading propaganda in schools.
    It's the same argument people use for immigration. "It's always happened", which is true, but not at the same scale. The pill undeniably acts as a replacement for morality. It has done ever since 1960, when the number of STDs and abortions (not to mention the '67 act) shot up.

1. Not an argument.
    2. Not an argument.

Care for a hat-trick?
    Care to elaborate on "scale" and "state propaganda"?

You've made wild claims all while providing 0 evidence.

Do you have any statistics or research to suggest this country would have been better off without contraception?

Also, why bring about immigration - "Not an argument" applies to this. Apples and oranges and completely off-tangent.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that we will continue to manufacture these pills and gels in an effort to get back something that was lost a long time ago.

"Fanatic" doesn't mean anything objective. I morally object to the killing of human beings/embryos/fetuses/babies on grounds of conscience.
    In an effort to get back something that was lost a long time ago?

What?

What's the problem with that.

And yes, you are a fanatic, because you try to tell people what and what not to do with their body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashbbk)
    Care to elaborate on "scale" and "state propaganda"?

You've made wild claims all while providing 0 evidence.
    UK abortion statistics: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/poli...landwales.html
    It doesn't have 2017 in there, but just to note, it's still on the rise.

And state propaganda, I was referring to sex education.

ReputationRep:
    And yes, you are a fanatic, because you try to tell people what and what not to do with their body.
    So many answers to that, I'll just pick this one:
    The baby is not your body. You do not own the baby; he/she is a separate organism with their own fingerprint, own bloodtype, own hands, legs, feet, heart, brain, intestines, etc. I don't care about your body, I care about what's in it, and the parents signed a contract when the baby was conceived. The state intervenes when children are being abused outside of the womb, and this is frankly no different. Going by your criteria, the government is therefore fanatical.

ReputationRep:
    So many answers to that, I'll just pick this one:
    The baby is not your body. You do not own the baby; he/she is a separate organism with their own fingerprint, own bloodtype, own hands, legs, feet, heart, brain, intestines, etc. I don't care about your body, I care about what's in it, and the parents signed a contract when the baby was conceived. The state intervenes when children are being abused outside of the womb, and this is frankly no different. Going by your criteria, the government is therefore fanatical.
    One which is leeching energy off of the woman it inhabits. It is connected to the woman via a tube, I am not sure where your notion of separate comes from. If you do think it's separate, then great, we can remove it and we can see how it gets along, can't we?

The parents signed no contract, what the actual **** are you talking about?

You see - fanatic. As I called it.

ReputationRep:
    And state propaganda, I was referring to sex education.
    Oh dear God.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.