Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Male Contraceptive Gel is another step closer Watch

ReputationRep:
    Back to the original point: I think male contraception is a great idea. Will be much easier, cheaper and simpler overall than having to buy condoms all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Jeepers! Almost as if the purpose of sexual intercourse wasn't for exactly that - procreation.
    Are you trying to say, in the history of mankind, sex has never ever been pleasurable until recent times?How about in the medieval ages where Lords and Kings would have mistresses as well as wives? Do you think they had mistresses for the sole purpose of having children out of wedlock or what? What did you think those men did to those mistresses, have leisurely walks on their grounds and read books to them? You sound beyond mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Male contraceptive gel passes monkey test - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38879224

https://www.parsemusfoundation.org/projects/vasalgel/

"VasalgelTM is a long-acting, nonhormonal contraceptive with a significant advantage over vasectomy: it is likely to be more reversible. The procedure is similar to a no-scalpel vasectomy, except a gel is injected into the vas deferens (the tube the sperm swim through), rather than cutting the vas (as is done in vasectomy). If a man wishes to restore flow of sperm, whether after months or years, the polymer is flushed out of the vas with another injection."

Hopefully within the next few years this contraceptive will become available. It'll allow men to take birth control into their own hands & provide an alternative to permanent vasectomy. Obviously it won't protect against STIs so condoms will still be necessary in some cases.

Edit - I meant to post this in the News & CA section but for some reason it ended up here.
    This is a good idea, so that men can't cry that they were trapped or all that other bs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    This is a good idea, so that men can't cry that they were trapped or all that other bs
    God this made me chuckle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 27FT)
    Are you trying to say, in the history of mankind, sex has never ever been pleasurable until recent times?How about in the medieval ages where Lords and Kings would have mistresses as well as wives? Do you think they had mistresses for the sole purpose of having children out of wedlock or what? What did you think those men did to those mistresses, have leisurely walks on their grounds and read books to them? You sound beyond mad.
    Again, I don't know whether you've purposely misinterpreted what I was saying or not, but the sole purpose of sexual intercourse is to conceive. That's its function, but of course sex is used for pleasure as well. This is when STDs and (dare I say) abortions happen. If everybody just stuck to the system of 'no sex before marriage', then we wouldn't have these problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    God this made me chuckle!
    Lol I always hear about guys complaining that women trap them as if they were forced to have unprotected sex

ReputationRep:
    Again, I don't know whether you've purposely misinterpreted what I was saying or not, but the sole purpose of sexual intercourse is to conceive. That's its function, but of course sex is used for pleasure as well. This is when STDs and (dare I say) abortions happen. If everybody just stuck to the system of 'no sex before marriage', then we wouldn't have these problems.
    If the sole purpose of sex was to conceive then it wouldn't be so pleasurable. Organs like the G-spot, Clitoris & Prostate wouldn't need to exist. The amount of Endorphins released in sex is far more than most other activities.

Anything that allows consenting adults to legally have fun in private is a good thing in my book & should not need to be regulated by the state, church or anything else.

It's religious organisations that have tried to hijack sex for their own ends in the past. The reason most religions don't like contraceptive is because it stops them from gaining followers. The reason they like sex to be confined to marriage only is because they want all the children to be brought up as their religion. It's practically brainwashing.

ReputationRep:
    If the sole purpose of sex was to conceive then it wouldn't be so pleasurable. Organs like the G-spot, Clitoris & Prostate wouldn't need to exist. The amount of Endorphins released in sex is far more than most other activities.
    The pleasure drives us into having sex to conceive. It's a necessary component that keeps us breeding. But please, the sole purpose is to conceive. Don't make me repeat myself.

ReputationRep:

Anything that allows consenting adults to legally have fun in private is a good thing in my book & should not need to be regulated by the state, church or anything else.

It's religious organisations that have tried to hijack sex for their own ends in the past. The reason most religions don't like contraceptive is because it stops them from gaining followers. The reason they like sex to be confined to marriage only is because they want all the children to be brought up as their religion. It's practically brainwashing.
    ^^^THIS

Completely unrelated but I find it interesting:

Priests used to be able to get married until at some point the Church realised they didn't want to support their families as it meant less money for the Church overall. Which is why priests now must be celibate.

ReputationRep:
    "even young newlyweds who omit contraception and make love at maximum frequency have only a 28 percent probability of conception per menstrual cycle. Animal breeders would be in despair if a prize cow had such low fertility, but in fact they can schedule a single artificial insemination so that the cow has a 75 percent chance of being fertilized!"

People continue to have sex long after their fertility declines.
    Same sex couples have sexual desire and sexual relationships.

Sex does not have to be pleasurable. Ask female house cats. The penis of a cat is barbed.

Besides, people in marriage use birth control too. They don't want to a ton of kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Oh dear God.
    ironically the reason for this idiocy

ReputationRep:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but"

So I'm not entitled?
    And you're not going to read the rest? :P

Obviously because people oppose your views you're selectively reading, but I'm just trying to say everyone has an opinion, and they probably wont be influenced by some guy who thinks that people shouldn't be allowed the control of their own bodies :P

ReputationRep:
    The pleasure drives us into having sex to conceive. It's a necessary component that keeps us breeding. But please, the sole purpose is to conceive. Don't make me repeat myself.
    Okay, what do you say about someone who is infertile having sex? Aren't they allowed to have it as it doesn't "follow your reasons"? Can they not enjoy it anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Back to the original point: I think male contraception is a great idea. Will be much easier, cheaper and simpler overall than having to buy condoms all the time.
    Agreed Some guys I know would really like having control over it, and it's an option for people to take or leave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morganblue68)
    Agreed Some guys I know would really like having control over it, and it's an option for people to take or leave
    Also, I'm assuming that after men have the 'reverse' injection, fertility is restored instantly?

When women come off contraception, it can take quite some time for fertility to be restored.

So it would make it easier to have a family once a couple decide they are ready.

I know sometimes it can take up to a year for a woman to be able to conceive again after coming off the pill which makes it harder to have/plan a family.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm assuming that after men have the 'reverse' injection, fertility is restored instantly?

When women come off contraception, it can take quite some time for fertility to be restored.

So it would make it easier to have a family once a couple decide they are ready.

I know sometimes it can take up to a year for a woman to be able to conceive again after coming off the pill which makes it harder to have/plan a family.
    I can't rep you any more but I would if I could

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morganblue68)
    I can't rep you any more but I would if I could
    :blush:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.