Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Ive had an offer from Sheffield Hallam to do Events and Marketing but im in two minds as to whether to accept it...

Whats it like studying at Sheffield Hallam?

Is the lifestyle as a university student what you expected?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi there! i'm a first year computer science student at Hallam, and i'm happy to tell you what i know.

i really enjoy living in sheffield, and hallam's a good uni. there's loads of stuff going on all the time, from fellwalking to creative writing to bar crawls. whatever you like, if you're willing to search for it, you'll find it. and if you're big into nights out, you're pretty much set coming to Sheffield; you'll find something going on every night.

everyone in Sheffield is really friendly!! i've met dozens of people just through talking to a cashier in a shop, or chatting with the guy at the reception at the Graves Gallery. the city itself is gorgeous, and despite the rep it may get, it's quite a modern and "hipstery" city. there are coffee shops around every corner, billions of vintage shops, and the public transport here is amazing in comparison to my rural village upbringing.

i hope that helped a little! if you have any specific questions, just give me a shout

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Thank you for your reply, it means a lot! Ive considered living at home as im only 20 minutes on the train, but then again i dont want to miss out on the student life when living at the university...

As a student, do you find the amount of work hard to cope with? Is the difficulty of the work anything like A-Levels?

Thank you for your time to read and reply to my post

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i totally get that! i find that people who commute in from home have a very different experience to those of us who live here. you'll be more secure at home, and studying will perhaps be easier - but then, there's a lot going on in the evenings that the commuters don't seem to join in with. also, living at uni, i find i'm friends with loads of people - accommodation, from the union, from my course, from random social events.... the commuters (from what i've seen) make really good friends with people on their course. it depends on what you prefer, really!

the workload is a lot more intense than a-levels. with a-levels you're studying three or four subjects at the same time; with my degree, for example, i'm studying five modules. initially i was like "oh, yeah, this is just like a-levels!!!" lol. i was cute. i find a lot of the time the work in one module helps me understand the work in another, so really i'm not studying five modules, just one massive subject.

the difficulty is both more and less difficult, if that makes sense. with my degree, there's a lot more testing - i have assessments every month or so, and exams in both january and june. it also means that if you slip behind, you're often gonna fail that and subsequent pieces of coursework, as everything in the degree overlaps. it's not like a-levels where if you forget or skip over one thing, that's not great but it's okay because you'll be able to survive it - if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you mean... Even though i applied with the thought of being at home, is there a way to apply after application if i later decide to live at university?

aha, so it was a shock to you then it seems! lol. In a nutshell, dont fall behind because it can be difficult to get back up to speed (if you can!).

Ive always wondered whether university is the place for me. The different teaching methods and the higher level of independence is what i find daunting. I always thought that the workload would be too difficult for me, but then people who know me say that they can see me thriving in such an environment. It's a hard one... I have until May to decide i suppose. Going to the open day in March should give me a better insight!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, you can definitely apply for accommodation after you make a choice! the accommodation office is literally opposite Owen's entrance. (Owen's the huuge 12 floor building if you're wondering!)

tbh that summarises it quite neatly! it doesn't mean you have to be 2 weeks ahead of work, but if you stay on top of things and don't let them go out of control you'll be flying.

in that regard, uni is veeery different from home. i personally thrive on the indepenence, but i know it's not for everyone. for example, at home now, your parents may do your washing, or you may throw it in the washing machine yourself. it's maybe a flight of stairs away and you can abandon it while it washes.

here in halls, i have to bundle things up, remember to buy liquid, stumble down seven flights of stairs, get down another set of outside stairs, get into the laundrette, make sure there's a drier free, shove my clothes in, stick in liquid, remember to have topped up my payment app, pay, and then either go back to my room for an hour or sit and wait for them to wash before finally sticking my clothes in the drier. it doesn't sound like much, but when you're doing it once a week, it quickly adds up.

i think, at the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. i was very introverted and awkward before i came to uni, and being here at Hallam has genuinely done me the world of good both socially and in "being an adult". but if you don't want to have to do that yet, or you're not sure, uni is always an option later in life. and yeah, come to an open day for sure. it wasn't until i visited that i realised there was no better fit for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.