Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rent my own flat or move into a house-share Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to move to London in September. I graduated last year and moved in with my sister in Bristol but I am not enjoying it. I have always wanted to move to London and decided to after this summer once my tenancy has ended in Bristol. I have managed to secure a good job in London and I have savings too.

My question is whether I should move into my own place or do a house-share? I am in two minds because house-shares are cheaper and got good chance of making more friends but I do like my own space.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you have a partner who would gladly move in with you and help out with bills, then yes, get your own place.

If not, then just stick with a house share, they're considerably cheaper, especially in London.

It's very difficult to save any money renting your own apartment and paying all the bills by yourself, especially on a graduate salary.
    If you must have your own place then do have a look at studios and converted flats that include bills, you can find these sub £1000 a month. (Still a lot of outgoings for a single person)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selfridges123)
    Hello everyone,

I am looking to move to London in September. I graduated last year and moved in with my sister in Bristol but I am not enjoying it. I have always wanted to move to London and decided to after this summer once my tenancy has ended in Bristol. I have managed to secure a good job in London and I have savings too.

My question is whether I should move into my own place or do a house-share? I am in two minds because house-shares are cheaper and got good chance of making more friends but I do like my own space.

Thank you
    Look at the cost of renting your own flat first before you decide you prefer one thing or another.

ReputationRep:
    A houseshare is your best bet financially- but make sure you go and meet the people you will be sharing with to see if you will be compatible- i.e you dont want to be living with party animals if all you want to do after work is chill out and go to bed (or vice versa)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As somebody who has lived alone for the past ~15 months but wishes to be closer to work i share your feelings regarding finance vs space but given that i can potentially cut costs by ~30% in a house share i'm leaning that way.

Perhaps find a happy medium and restrict the share to 2-3 people in total (including yourself).

ReputationRep:
    I've always had my own pad. Something quite nice about having a dump with the door open. But rents in London are surely a money pit? Unless money isn't an issue. Just had a day out in London today. Nice to visit. Could never live there. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.