Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A question about Coloumb's law (mostly maths related dealing with ratios). Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you please help me?

The force between two particles r away from each other of charge Q, is F. What is the electrostatic force they exert on each other when Q becomes root Q and r becomes root r?

Thank you for reading, and if so, for responding.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Coulomb's law states:

F = k \frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2}

In your scenario, you've been told:

Q_1 = \sqrt{Q}
    Q_2 = \sqrt{Q}
     r = \sqrt{r}

Plug those into Coloumb's law.

ReputationRep:
    I get F becomes root F, as root Q x itself = Q and root r x itself is also r, so it is Q/r which is root of QQ/r^2, yet the answer apparently is F.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    I get F becomes root F, as root Q x itself = Q and root r x itself is also r, so it is Q/r which is root of QQ/r^2, yet the answer apparently is F.
    I don't get F as an answer, but I don't quite get get root F either. You need to remember there's the value 'k' in there.

If the answer is supposed to be just 'F', I suspect the question is more about how the equation for the force doesn't change. No matter if Q is a million times larger and r a million times smaller or whatever, the Coulomb equation is always F = k \frac{Q_1 Q_2}{r^2}, but this seems a bit trivial.

I take it this is an A-level physics question of some kind? I always detested the A-level physics syllabus, and the way the whole course content is approached in all the books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pessimisterious)
    I don't get F as an answer, but I don't quite get get root F either. You need to remember there's the value 'k' in there...
    Yeah it is, the question first states that for two point charges both of equal charge Q, speration r, the force is F. It then tries to get me to derive in terms of F what the force will be in the cases I mentioned above. Sorta like if Q was the only thing that changed and it became twice the amount for both charges, then F would be 4F as F is directly proportional to Qq.

Thank you for helping though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.