Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have applied to do an undergraduate degree at the grand age of 30 and have applied to study full time. I currently have a full time HR job and would not be able to continue this role whilst studying (no option of part time). My degree will be in Business & HR Management.

I just wondered if anyone else had worked part time whilst studying full time and if so doing what? I am thinking about trying to find a part time HR job, but that would be set in stone e.g. 2-3 set days a week, office hours. I am not sure if I could fit it in around my studies.

My next thought was maybe a supermarket job, but then I am worried that if I leave the HR world all together it won't put me in a good position when I am finished my course, as I would be 3 years out of touch.

ReputationRep:
    It would be tricky to fit the job around lectures, especially as your timetable will change every term. Your best bet might be to look at part time jobs offered by the university or the student union, as these will allow you to fit your hours around your study. You might not be able to get a role which is specifically HR, but there may be jobs which are in related areas. It might be worth contacting them to have a chat about what they can offer. They will probably jump at the chance to use the skills you have developed in your career.

ReputationRep:
    This may be way off... but have you ever thought about working for the NHS?

NHSP or NHS Professionals (Google this) might be worth looking at. You can pick your own shifts as and when, and that does include admin and clerical roles not just nursing/medical roles. It gives you the ultimate work-freedom and it's how I will be surviving a full time degree at 30 but my situation is very different to yours and I'm guessing this probably isn't suitable. Either way I thought I would share this just in case.

It's a shame more employers don't offer "bank" style systems for employees. Maybe some do and I'm just unaware?

http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/Pages/home.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonbrains)
    This may be way off... but have you ever thought about working for the NHS?

NHSP or NHS Professionals (Google this) might be worth looking at. You can pick your own shifts as and when, and that does include admin and clerical roles not just nursing/medical roles. It gives you the ultimate work-freedom and it's how I will be surviving a full time degree at 30 but my situation is very different to yours and I'm guessing this probably isn't suitable. Either way I thought I would share this just in case.

It's a shame more employers don't offer "bank" style systems for employees. Maybe some do and I'm just unaware?

http://www.nhsprofessionals.nhs.uk/Pages/home.aspx
    I will take a look into this. Thank you that is really helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.