Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm entering university in September 2017.I was born in Italy and hold Italian passport. I moved to Sri lanka (out of the EEA) in 2001 to pursue my education. My parents remained in Italy but I constantly travelled to Italy during holidays. Although I was in Sri Lanka as it was temporary my residency remained Italy since birth. I moved to the UK in 2015 September and my mom works in the UK as well.

Do I qualify for a maintenance loan as a Child of EEA Migrant worker?

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi

A Migrant Worker (MW) is the student, spouse or family member of an EEA National who is working in the UK; or has previously worked in the UK but has been made redundant and is actively seeking employment.

A family member is defined in the regulations as a parent, step-parent, spouse or a civil partner.

If you are applying as the spouse or family member of a MW and the MW is also a student you will remain eligible to apply for funding as long as the MW is currently working in the UK or has previously worked in the UK but has been made redundant and is actively seeking employment.

If a student wishes to apply under the MW scheme, they must:
    • Be EEA or Swiss National
    • Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of the first Academic Year of their course.
    • Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • They, their parent/step-parent, or spouse/civil partner* must be working throughout their studies
    • Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working continuously throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair
    Exceptions to MW eligibility rule:
    • MW is temporarily unable to work as result of illness or accident
    • MW is involuntarily unemployed and is actively seeking employment after having been employed for more than one year
    • MW is involuntarily unemployed after completing a period of fixed term contract employment of less than one year or is involuntarily unemployed during the first 12 months and is actively seeking employment. In this case the status of the worker shall be retained for no less than 6 months

• MW embarks on vocational training. Unless they are involuntarily unemployed, the retention of the status of worker will require the training to be related to the previous employment
      Please note: we do not consider 'infrequent' employment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    My mom is currently working in the UK. My question is that since I have only been the EEA for only 2 years prior to the start date of the degree since I was in Sri Lanka. Can I still recieve this loan?

(Original post by Elizabeth SFE)
    Hi

A Migrant Worker (MW) is the student, spouse or family member of an EEA National who is working in the UK; or has previously worked in the UK but has been made redundant and is actively seeking employment.

A family member is defined in the regulations as a parent, step-parent, spouse or a civil partner.

If you are applying as the spouse or family member of a MW and the MW is also a student you will remain eligible to apply for funding as long as the MW is currently working in the UK or has previously worked in the UK but has been made redundant and is actively seeking employment.

If a student wishes to apply under the MW scheme, they must:
    • Be EEA or Swiss National
    • Be resident in the EEA/Switzerland for 3 years prior to the start of the first Academic Year of their course.
    • Be resident in England on the first day of the first academic year
    • They, their parent/step-parent, or spouse/civil partner* must be working throughout their studies
    • Show they are in employment which is effective and genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or infrequent where they would not be able to support themselves financially
    • Be working continuously throughout their studies and receive remuneration for this work ie wages, but can also receive ‘pocket money’ for voluntary employment such as ‘Au Pair

Exceptions to MW eligibility rule:
    • MW is temporarily unable to work as result of illness or accident
    • MW is involuntarily unemployed and is actively seeking employment after having been employed for more than one year
    • MW is involuntarily unemployed after completing a period of fixed term contract employment of less than one year or is involuntarily unemployed during the first 12 months and is actively seeking employment. In this case the status of the worker shall be retained for no less than 6 months
    • MW embarks on vocational training. Unless they are involuntarily unemployed, the retention of the status of worker will require the training to be related to the previous employment
      Please note: we do not consider 'infrequent' employment.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi, you would not be eligible as you do not meet the criteria set out above. thanks

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.