Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ibuprofen vs paracetamol Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    depends on the strength of codeine tbh. 8mg has a pseudo-placebo effect imho. 15, 30 and 60mg are all a lot stronger and can be taken with paracetamol and/or ibuprofen but just remember the side-effect profiles of drugs can be a pain (both real and metaphorical). also remember higher strengths of drugs = higher side-effects.

codeine's side-effects are irritating in high doses, and the way the law is now, you cant drive whilst on even low doses as it impairs judgment and causes drowsiness. the fact that the police can arrest you for driving whilst taking it is something to consider
    I normally take either 15 or 30 depending on what is in the cupboard and whether or not I have things to do later.

Good thing I don't drive then.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Totally agree (I was being a bit flippant with my opioid suggestions, having pretty much been prescribed everything going over the years!)
    fair enough. hopefully your analgesics are working

ReputationRep:
    Ibuprofen is an NSAID
    Paracetamol is a pain killer

Some people can't have NSAIDS due to asthma or contraindications. I can't take ibuprofen as it could kill me with the meds I take.

Frankly neither of the two medicine works for me as a painkiller or anti-inflammatory so I get prescribed codeine or tramadol (this stuff is AMAZING) but it means I have to have check ups all the time as they're addictive. Both of those are opioid analgesics

ReputationRep:
    Paracetamol. I get heartburn with Ibuprofen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willy Pete)
    I normally take either 15 or 30 depending on what is in the cupboard and whether or not I have things to do later.

Good thing I don't drive then.
    I was taking 2 60mg tablets and now I have moved up to a ton of Tramadol. its not nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I was taking 2 60mg tablets and now I have moved up to a ton of Tramadol. its not nice.
    Can't say I have had the pleasure. I rarely take painkillers, it is only if it prevents my sleep really.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Neither work for me, and nor does naproxen. Stupid body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    I don't get any side-effects with tramadol? I find it to be a miracle worker!

Hope it gets better for you, can you not get anything stronger? It's not good to be on tramadol long-term.
    been on it for 3 months+ with a ton of other drugs, they are considering moving me up to morphine soon.

Nor do I get any side effects but I know when I get off of it the dependency will kick in
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by gwaggy)
    I don't get any side-effects with tramadol? I find it to be a miracle worker!

Hope it gets better for you, can you not get anything stronger? It's not good to be on tramadol long-term.
    how is it possible you dont experience side-effects (considering tramadol is a moderate strength opioid vs codeine, which is weak and morphine which is strong).?

ive had torn ligaments and cartilages before and I avoided codeine as it kept giving me horrendous constipation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    For general pains then it's definitely ibuprofen I prefer. Paracetamol barely ever seems to work for me. The best painkiller I've ever used though was Naproxen which is a strong NSAID. I swear by those for strong pains like migraines, period cramps, broken or fractured bones etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish naproxen would shift my hip pain! Twice a day for three months and the pain still creeping through. Cortisone straight to the bone helped for a few weeks though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Naproxen is rubbish. It just made me want to vomit, I seem to remember.

I tend to take paracetamol. No-one will sell me ibuprofen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.