Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think you know how to be safe online? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you know how to be safe online?
    Yes
    87.39%
    No
    12.61%

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Today is Safer Internet Day, it's an event that happens every year to promote being safe online. You probably heard about it a lot in primary school, I know I did!

It's important to make sure you're safe online - sometimes things aren't as they seem, so you have to be careful to make sure that you don't get caught up in things that could be very difficult to handle.

Only a simple question today, though. Do you think you know how to be 'safe' online? If so, how?

Share your tips here, if you have any! Otherwise, just vote in the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely say: don't say anything online that you wouldn't say to a person's face! Once you've posted a message, it's there forever, and screenshots can get sent to the person about whom you were talking before you know it. It's happened to me once or twice!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have a good anti-virus you will be safe.

The rest is common sense and if you don't have that, then good luck.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Hey everyone,

Today is Safer Internet Day, it's an event that happens every year to promote being safe online. You probably heard about it a lot in primary school, I know I did!

It's important to make sure you're safe online - sometimes things aren't as they seem, so you have to be careful to make sure that you don't get caught up in things that could be very difficult to handle.

Only a simple question today, though. Do you think you know how to be 'safe' online? If so, how?

Share your tips here, if you have any! Otherwise, just vote in the poll.
    Common sense

ReputationRep:
    I know how to be safe on the internet: never go near it.

But yh, if you really,REALLY want to go on the internet, use Firefox (with DuckDuckGo), never search for anything in any way suspicious, never use third-party cookies, make all your passwords very strong (as in, over 100 characters long, in several different alphabets. Jus copy/paste them from a document), and don't save them on the website, don't write any personal details, give a fake age, name and location, and never ever go anywhere near http websites.

I don't actually do most of that, btw.

#totallynotanameteur

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.