Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, please could you help, as I'm not sure how to proceed...

I've just started semester 2 of year 2 and am very unhappy on my course. I intend to leave my university, transfer my credits and start a distance learning course with the open university.

However, if I am to do this, will this impact my student finance? If I withdraw now, am I required to pay the rest of my tuition fee for this year to my university out of pocket? Also, if I start my open university degree in October would I just start a new student finance application for this?

Many thanks 😁
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

If a student suspends or withdraws from their studies their Higher Education Provider (HEP) will inform us of this by sending an electronic task.

Once processed, all future payments will be cancelled and students entitlement will be re-calculated based on the time they spent at the course which may result in a loan and/or grant overpayment.

The fee loan requested will be paid to cover the year unless your University decide to reduce your fee liability in which case the fee loan paid out will also reduce. You should speak to the University regarding the fee liability and they can advise on this.

If you have withdrawn from your course and you start a new course (without transferring), you will need to complete a PN1 Form. You will also be asked to provide your ID again as you will be classed as a new student.

For students who are now taking on a part-time course, previous study will affect them as follows:

Full-time (no qualification gained) - This will not affect your entitlement to part time study and you will be eligible to receive a maximum of 16 years funding.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks! So the only thing I might have to pay upfront is the overpayment of the grants, because SLC would pay the tuition fee yet to be paid..
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ...student...)
    Great, thanks! So the only thing I might have to pay upfront is the overpayment of the grants, because SLC would pay the tuition fee yet to be paid..
    Hi,

Yes that's correct.

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.