Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need a new laptop. I have an xbox one which I game on, but I might want to play some games on my laptop. I will use it for internet, college, netflix ect. Should I get the Razer Blade i7, 1060 with QHD 256gb. Macbook pro 15 touchbar pro 450 256gb. Dell xps 7th gen i7 ,gtx 1050, UHD, 512gb. Or any recommendations. Thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Youve picjed some insanely high end laptops there, all of which demand a substantial price premium compared to what their specs normally cost, and the only information you've given us about your needs is you want to "play some games" and do basic that a £300 laptop with an i3 could perform. Do you really want to spend north of £1500? What features are most important to you? What sort of gaming performance are you expecting to get?

ReputationRep:
    As Gofre said, there's very little to go on here.

Buying a Macbook for gaming is a silly idea so that's out the window(s).

As a gaming machine, the Blade is more powerful than the Dell. Gaming at QHD will also be better than UHD, a 1050 at 4K simply isn't going to push as many frames as a 1060 at 2560x1440 for example. However you can also find gaming machines with similar specs for less money. These laptops are very premium machines.

Why do you want a laptop though? The cheapest available Blade on Razers site clocks in at just under £2000. For that money you can buy a far superior desktop for gaming and have money left over to buy a cheap laptop for on the go. Unless you desperately need to game on the go (and nobody desperately needs to game) then you don't need a gaming laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Thanks for the feedback.
    Basically, all I will be doing is watching youtube and browsing the web. But, I might want to play games such as cs go, older games like Black ops 2 and games like prison architect (which is not very demanding). This is why I thought about the macbook and it could probably play these games. I do want the build quality to be very good though, I don't want a plastic laptop like the one I am using now.

Thanks, Alex

ReputationRep:
    One would wonder whether you need to actually buy a laptop at all.

Buying a desktop is cheaper compared to laptops with the same kind of components.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    One would wonder whether you need to actually buy a laptop at all.

Buying a desktop is cheaper compared to laptops with the same kind of components.
    I understand this point, and even though I use my laptop most of the time at my desk, I would still like to be able to take it into another room and plus I am going to uni in September so I will need a laptop. I don't want a laptop and a desktop as I would like all my files to be on one device. I feel like I need something premium, but I don't know why, the laptop i am using now is 3 years old and only cost £400.

I just want people views on these laptops, or if they have any recommendation of a laptop I would like to hear that too, I don't want reasons not to get a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexplant17)
    Hi, Thanks for the feedback.
    Basically, all I will be doing is watching youtube and browsing the web. But, I might want to play games such as cs go, older games like Black ops 2 and games like prison architect (which is not very demanding). This is why I thought about the macbook and it could probably play these games. I do want the build quality to be very good though, I don't want a plastic laptop like the one I am using now.

Thanks, Alex
    Playing games on a Mac has nothing to do with specs. It has to do with compatibility. A lot of games simply don't run natively on Macbooks. If you are looking at older games, from the time when games didn't run on Macs at all then odds are nothing will have changed for them. If you want to game, you get a Windows machine.

Of the laptops you mentioned the Blade is the most ideal but for older, less intensive games the XPS will also suffice. That said both are way more powerful and expensive than you'd actually need. If gaming is not the priority then you should look at fulfilling other criteria first. Getting a Blade is fine but if you don't game often or with modern stuff you simply won't use it to its potential. Which means you have some very nice components that barely get used basically just sitting there wasting power, adding weight and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexplant17)
    I understand this point, and even though I use my laptop most of the time at my desk, I would still like to be able to take it into another room and plus I am going to uni in September so I will need a laptop. I don't want a laptop and a desktop as I would like all my files to be on one device. I feel like I need something premium, but I don't know why, the laptop i am using now is 3 years old and only cost £400.

I just want people views on these laptops, or if they have any recommendation of a laptop I would like to hear that too, I don't want reasons not to get a laptop.
    Go for the razer, more than 80% of games don't run on macs. That includes new games too
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Vote #3 for the Blade here, if you're willing to shell out that amount of cash for the sort of requirements you have. If gaming is a low priority, however, you could drop your need to play recent AAA titles and get something closer to a grand that meets all your other needs like a Dell XPS 13. You could even build a gaming desktop with that ~£500 saving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Vote #3 for the Blade here, if you're willing to shell out that amount of cash for the sort of requirements you have. If gaming is a low priority, however, you could drop your need to play recent AAA titles and get something closer to a grand that meets all your other needs like a Dell XPS 13. You could even build a gaming desktop with that ~£500 saving.
    Or even go the Stealth and Core route. Frankly if gaming on the go is not a necessity (which it doesn't sound like it is) then the best idea is to pour more money into the desktop and spend the remaining on a lightweight laptop for on the go. For £1750 (the cheapest Blade) you can easily spend £1000 building a fairly comparable desktop and spend the remaning £750 on a decent laptop. Or spend £1500 on the desktop, get something that outperforms the Blade and buy a cheap Chromebook for on the go.

In general the Blade is great but it simply isn't perfect for gaming, not in the way a desktop would be. It still suffers from battery life issues, performance issues (still only a 1060), having that small screen, heat and fan noise (which is reportedly pretty bad) and so on.

Of course that assumes you can even buy the cheapest Blade. Right now the QHD/512GB model is the only UK one I see available. Priced at £2250. I'd definitely spend around £900-1000 on an XPS 13 and drop the rest into the desktop if I needed a gaming machine and had that money to play with. In fact I did and there's nothing I regret about that decision. The XPS is better at being a laptop than most laptops while the desktop is better at gaming than any laptop. In both cases they outperform the Blade in the ways that matter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, pardon me for butting in but I'm in search for a new laptop as well. I bought this HP laptop back in 2011 it was around 300 but it was whack. I'm looking for a laptop for studies and which i can use for gaming too (specifically Dota 2 or League of Legends). I'm not a massive gamer myself (wouldn't mind being one! lol) but I would like to hear your recommendations. Budget is around 250-350. Thanks for any help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.